| Sehwag will wait for a vacancy
Bangalore: Virender Sehwag, Test opener since the tour of England last season, is keen to revert to the middle-order in the longer version of the game.
But the dashing batsman is in no hurry to make the shift, nor has he approached the team management as he thinks the present batting line-up is doing just fine.
“So far I have not spoken about this desire (to bat in the middle-order) as the present batting line-up is doing a good job and I don’t want to disturb it. As and when a slot opens in the middle-order, I will stake my claim,” Sehwag said on Tuesday.
Sehwag said India are determined to blank New Zealand in the upcoming two-Test series.
“I am very much looking forward to the New Zealand series. They beat us 2-0, and I hope we will return the compliment. We are really looking forward to beating them 2-0.”
On his brief county stint in England, Sehwag said his emphasis was on trying to stay at the wicket. He said he had not curbed his natural instinct to go for strokes but was making a serious effort to compile runs.
“It’s very important to have the power to stay in Test cricket and to see off good spells,” he said. The 24-year-old said earlier he used to attack from the word go which got him quick runs but also cost him his wicket on many occasions.
He said his stint with Leicestershire was a great learning process. “County sides depend a lot on overseas players, which puts them under pressure to deliver. Nevertheless, it was a good experience as it was a new team and I played with new players.”