Karachi: Dumped Pakistan batsman Inzamam-ul-Haq said on Sunday he was engaged in a desperate campaign to resurrect his cricket career and shed memories of the World Cup fiasco ahead of a busy home season.
“World Cup 2003 was the worst phase in my career but that is now behind me and I am making all-out efforts to get my place in the team back and further my career,” Inzamam said.
The 33-year-old, who had shed some 20 pounds (9 kg) before the World Cup, was a major flop in this year’s event in southern Africa, managing just 19 runs in six games as Pakistan failed to make it past the first stage of the tournament.
He was among eight senior players dumped by selectors in a clean-up operation following the debacle in March.
Inzamam now hopes to get a place in a revamped squad which still lacks stable batting.
The unavailability of reliable batsman Younis Khan, who has opted out of the first two Tests against Bangladesh, makes Inzamam’s claims for a place stronger.
“Since the World Cup was a major tournament everyone was disappointed with the team’s performance and especially with my batting but I assure my return will make them forget everything,” said Inzamam, who hit a career-best 329 against New Zealand in May last year. (AFP)