| Ronaldinho insists United was his first choice
London: Ronaldinho says he was left with a broken heart after his forecast transfer to Manchester United failed to come off resulting in his move instead to Barcelona.
“United were definitely my first choice,” the Brazil World Cup winner told Sunday’s News of The World.
“Originally they were very polite but they left a lot of questions unanswered. I was left with a broken heart. I met great people in Manchester and I hope the door is open for the future.”
A tortuous transfer saga ended in the Paris Saint Germain star moving to the Nou Camp rather than Old Trafford in a 30 million euro deal last month.
Ronaldinho says what upset him most was that he was so close to becoming United’s first Brazil player.
He added: “Throughout the negotiations, the United people showed a certain distance while Barcelona pushed for me and presented a more personal touch.
Things took too long and Barcelona arrived at the table. I had to make a decision because United weren’t contacting me. “My physical condition was starting to get questionable and, at the stage I am at professionally, I cannot afford that to happen.”
Ferguson laid the blame for the failure to agree a transfer on Ronaldinho’s brother and agent Roberto Assis.
“The only frustration we had was with his brother. We never even got the chance to sit down with the boy (Ronaldinho),” said Ferguson.
“I know he doesn’t speak English anyway, but we never got to know whether he wanted to come or not. In the end we withdrew. We wanted an answer there and then.
“We gave them a deadline and we walked away. So he was left with Barcelona. He rejected us only in the sense he didn’t tell us ‘I want to join Manchester United’,” Ferguson added.