Quetta, July 7 (Reuters): Pakistani authorities removed four senior police officers from their posts for negligence following an attack on a Shia mosque that killed at least 53 people, officials said today.
Three more members of a radical Sunni group, the main suspect for Friday’s suicide bomb attack in Quetta city, had been rounded up, taking the number of those detained to 22. No one has yet been charged.
Humayun Jogezai, deputy police chief in Baluchistan province, and two other senior police officials were transferred but not dismissed while a fourth official was suspended.
Friday’s grenade and gun attack, the worst in Pakistan for years and the first case of a sectarian suicide bombing, also injured more than 60 people. No group has claimed responsibility.
Shias in Quetta, the provincial capital of Baluchistan, have accused the police of failing to provide adequate security at the mosque. “We have taken some administrative steps and removed those who were found negligent in their duties,” a provincial official said.
The official said police had taken three more members of the outlawed Sunni group Lashkar-e-Jhangvi into custody following overnight raids.