Mumbai, July 2: Salman Khan did not show up in court yet again today, forcing an angry judge to threaten to withdraw his bail if he stayed away next time.
Taking strong exception to the actor’s absence, judge A.J. Dholakia said that if he didn’t turn up on the next designated day, his bail would be cancelled.
The actor is out on bail for a road accident he was involved in on September 28 last year. Salman’s car had run over five persons sleeping on a Bandra pavement, killing one on the spot.
Salman’s lawyer Sham Kumar said the actor was in the US regarding some stage shows and that he couldn’t make it to the court today. Although he added that Salman had undergone medical treatment abroad, nothing was produced to certify that.
The case has been posted for hearing on September 10.
The judge said: “Salman will have to change his attitude or else face severe action, including cancellation of his bail.” The case was set to enter a crucial phase today with the prosecution maintaining that they were ready to examine four witnesses.
On hold was the deposition of Ravinder Pal, the constable who was provided by the government to escort the actor after he complained that he was receiving threats from criminals. He has been saying that Salman was under the influence of alcohol when he took charge of the steering that night “despite repeated pleas”.
If charged under Section 304 of the IPC (culpable homicide not amounting to murder), Salman could face up to 10 years of rigorous imprisonment.
Incidentally, the actor yesterday appealed in Bombay High Court against the sessions court’s May 2 order holding him “prima facie” guilty of culpable homicide not amounting to murder.
The application is likely to come up for hearing on Friday for admission.