The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
Cops in net over Lone murder

Srinagar, June 14 (PTI): Five more policemen have been taken into custody for alleged links with militants involved in the killing of former Jammu and Kashmir home minister Mushtaq Ahmad Lone and attacks on security forces in the state.

The crackdown since yesterday has taken the total number of arrested policemen to seven.

Sub-inspectors Suliaman and Abdul Ahad Rather, constables Shah Hussain, Farooq Ahmad Indrabi and Sonaullah Dar were arrested from Kupwara, Anantnag and Baramulla districts, senior superintendent of police S.D.S. Jamwal said.

He said the arrests followed interrogation of assistant sub-inspector Ghulam Rasool Wani and constable Abdul Ahad. The two were held on June 6 for alleged involvement in a plan of militants to carry out a suicide attack on security forces at Lalpora police station in Kupwara earlier this month.

Jamwal said all the policemen were picked up from their places of posting. While Suliaman was taken into custody in Baramulla, Rather was arrested in Kupwara where he was posted as in-charge of the police post.

Hussain, Dar and Indrabi were arrested in Anantnag and Kupwara, the officer said. He said they were being questioned on their involvement in the killing of Lone last year and suicide attacks on security forces.

“We will come out with authentic information only after their interrogation is completed within the next few days,” Jamwal said.

Jamwal said Rather was posted at Sogam when the minister was shot dead by militants at a rally before the Assembly elections last year. His involvement was suspected in the attack and he was being questioned.

The other arrested policemen had also served in Sogam at the same time, he added.

The nexus between the police and militants came to light when police personnel at Lalpora police station foiled a fidayeen attack on June 3. A lone militant was helped by Wani, station house officer of Sogam, and Ahad to carry out the suicide attack, sources said.

Policemen at Lalpora managed to overpower the militant and snatch his weapon, but he escaped. However, the militant was later arrested from Kupwara and his interrogation led to the arrest of Wani and Ahad.

Email This Page