Australian Albert Trottís eight for 43 is the best haul on Test debut.
Owing to a technical glitch, some errors crept into Ravi Kant Srivastavaís compilation of top ten debut hauls, published in these columns Sunday. While regretting the mistakes, we are publishing the corrected compilation. Here goes the list:
- 8/43 by Albert Trott (Aus, 2nd innings) vs England in Adelaide, 1894-95
- 8/53 by Bob Massie (Aus, 2nd innings) vs England at Lordís,1972 (Massie also took 8/84 in the first innings)
- 8/61 by Narendra Hirwani (Ind) vs West Indies in Madras,1987-88 (Hirwani also took 8/75 in 2nd innings)
- 8/64 by Lance Klusener (SA, 2nd innings) vs India in Calcutta,1996-97
- 8/104 by Alf Valentine (WI) vs England in Manchester,1950
- 7/43 by Dominic Cork (Eng, 2nd innings) vs West Indies at Lordís,1995
- 7/46 by John Lever (Eng) vs India in Delhi 1976-77
- 7/49 by Alec Bedser (Eng) vs India at Lordís, 1946
- 7/55 by Tom Kendall (Aus, 2nd innings) vs England in Melbourne,1876-77
- 7/56 by James Langridge (Eng, 2nd innings) vs West Indies in Manchester,1933
Note: Of the 46 bowlers who have taken six or more wickets on debut in Tests there are 13 Englishmen, 11 Australians, 9 South Africans, 2 West Indian, 3 Indians (including S.Abid Ali and Dilip Doshi), 2 New Zealanders, 3 Pakistanis, one Sri Lankan and 2 Bangladeshis.