The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
WI forced to follow on
- Third test l Fever-stricken Lara falls to controversial leg-before decision

Bridgetown: West Indies were forced to follow on in the third Test Sunday after Australia bowled out the home team for 328 early on the fourth day.

West Indies, already 0-2 down in the series, fell 277 runs short of Australia’s huge first innings score of 605 for nine as Stuart MacGill polished off their first innings by taking the last two wickets.

At 2 am, West Indies were 147 for three in their second innings, with Ramnaresh Sarwan and Brian Lara batting on 37 and 27, respectively. The batsmen to be dismissed were Devon Smith, Daren Ganga and Chris Gayle.

Following on, West Indies were 13 without loss at lunch in their second innings.

MacGill had Vasbert Drakes caught in the covers by Brett Lee for 11 attempting to drive and Jermaine Lawson stumped for one by Adam Gilchrist.

Debutant tailender Tino Best put up some resistance after West Indies resumed on 291 for eight overnight. He survived 50 balls, including some hostile Lee bouncers, and hit two fours in making an unbeaten 20.

Earlier, fever-stricken Brian Lara fell victim to a controversial leg before wicket decision to leave the West Indies indire straits on Saturday. At close of play on the third day, the home side were 291 for eight.

Lara, who spent the first half of the day in his hotel room with what a team spokesman said was fever, emerged from his bed and came in at number eight in his attempt to save the West Indies after they lost four wickets for 40 runs either side of tea.

The 34-year-old Trinidadian, who was rumoured to have gone down with chicken pox, made a good start before being given out leg before to an Andy Bichel delivery by umpire Srinivas Venkatraghavan, even though television replays suggested he got a thick edge onto the back pad.

Lara, who had made 14, left the field shaking his head after one of the most dubious decisions of the series. The West Indies, resuming on 89 without loss over night, edged slowly but surely towards their target until a disastrous period just before tea.

The home team was 205 for two when number three Daren Ganga threw away his wicket as he drove Darren Lehmann’s waist- high full toss straight to mid-on where Andy Bichel took a comfortable catch.

Worse was to come for the home team three balls later when Shivnarine Chanderpaul, a key player in Lara’s absence, was out first ball to Stuart MacGill with only one more run added.

The Guyanese batsmen, returning to the fold after missing the second Test through injury, hoisted his first delivery to mid-wicket where Brett Lee took a running catch with the sun in his eyes.

Shortly after tea, the West Indies lost another two quick wickets. Vice-captain Ramnaresh Sarwan, who was in for 175 minutes and faced 129 balls, went for 40 when Lee found the edge with an out-swinging ball and was caught behind to leave the West Indies on 245 for five.

Debutant Omari Banks followed, in the next over without a run been added, when he edged Gillespie to second slip and Ricky Ponting took a low catch to his left. Banks, the first player from the tiny island of Anguilla to play Test cricket, made 24.

Lara, who made a century in each of the first two Tests, then appeared from the pavilion to a huge cheer from the crowd.

Strong start

Lara got off the mark with boundary between third slip and gully and had made nine he was dropped by Ponting at second slip off Gillespie.

He and Carlton Baugh added 36 for the seventh wicket before Lara was removed by Bichel. Australia got another wicket on the final ball of the day when Baugh was caught by Ponting off MacGill, having made 24. His dismissal left the West Indies still needing 115 runs to avoid a possible follow-on with only two wickets standing.

Email This Page