The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
Cops in eye of mystery death fury

All hell broke loose at the Burtolla police station on Saturday morning when hundreds of irate residents staged a sit-in for over half an hour with the body of a 24-year-old housewife who died on Friday night under mysterious circumstances. The demonstrators were demanding the immediate arrest of the deceased’s in-laws.

Much to the embarrassment of senior officials, demonstrators even kept on shouting slogans, turning a deaf ear to the police’s repeated pleas. They laid a virtual siege to the police station for over half an hour demanding that those responsible for the woman’s death be put behind bars without delay.

Fearing that the situation might spin out of control, senior officials also came rushing to the police station. They initially tried to convince the demonstrators to hand over the body but to no effect. At this, the police resorted to a lathi charge in a last-ditch effort to bring the situation under control and take the body in their possession.

Earlier, the demonstrators put up a blockade at the intersection of Bidhan Sarani and Aurobindo Sarani for over an hour with the body. Traffic came to a halt in the morning peak hours till senior officials intervened.

But the protestors dispersed from the road intersection only to lay a siege to the nearby police station with the body.

The policemen, however, later arrested four persons, including the deceased’s husband, on the basis of a complaint lodged by the woman’s father. A dowry death case was registered against all the four accused.

According to K.L. Tamta, deputy commissioner of police, headquarters, Sudha Jaiswal, a resident of Goabagan, had married Rajesh, an iron scrap businessman of the APC Road area, four years ago. “Her first child was a premature baby which died. Later, she gave birth to a girl child,” said Tamta.

“We booked them under Section 304B — a dowry death case. The accused and the neighbours are being interrogated,” he added.

Ganga Prasad Jaiswal, the deceased’s father, told the police that the in-laws and the husband used to torture his daughter for dowry.

“A year ago, my daughter fell ill after being tortured by her in-laws. We had to bear with this humiliation for her sake. Later, their grouse increased as she gave birth to a girl child,” Ganga told police.

According to police, the woman fell ill recently and was admitted to a local nursing home where she died.

As the news of Sudha’s death spread, neighbours took to the streets. Ganga Prasad, then, lodged a complaint blaming his daughter’s three in-laws.

Email This Page