The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
Threat finger on tease twins

Durgapur, March 24: The college girl who was allegedly harassed by two CPM activists at Pandabeswar last Friday, today said the duo, whom the police are on the lookout for, accosted her once again last evening and threatened dire consequences if she did not withdraw the police complaint against them.

The girl was on Friday allegedly heckled, manhandled and her two-wheeler snatched after she apparently refused to participate in a local anti-war rally organised by the CPM. She, accompanied by her younger sister and mother, was on her way to the Ukhra guest house to attend the readers’ meet of a Hindi daily when the incident took place.

Following the incident, the girl lodged a complaint with the police and named two CPM workers, Guruprasanna Roychowdhury and Ananta Roychowdhury, as having harassed her.

“Last evening, when I was returning from Durgapur, I saw Ananta and a few others sitting near the Kumardihi colliery gate. He stopped me and began abusing me, telling me to withdraw the police complaint. The men seemed to be in a drunken state and I fled the scene,” she said today.

Although the police are yet to pick up either Ananta or Guruprasanna, the girl said she would approach the human rights commission and even appeal to Left Front chairman, Biman Bose, if she was continuously harassed.

She also alleged that local CPM leader Dilip Bauri as well as the police asked the three women to come to a “compromise” and settle the issue. Bauri even visited the girl’s residence in the Kumardihi colliery area and asked her family members to settle the issue. Apparently the police, too, advised her to come to a mutual solution to avoid legal hassles.

“I will not bow to pressure and give up the fight for justice,” the girl said. But her elder brother, citing the CPM’s dominance in the area, voiced concern for the family’s safety. “We are feeling insecure as the area is dominated by the CPM. If we fight for justice I am definite that we will also have to leave the area soon,” he said.

Police said they had started a case against the two accused. The girl’s two-wheeler was recovered from near the Central Industrial Security Force camp at Pandabeswar yesterday.

Email This Page