The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
Suicide at Girish Park derails Metro services

Metro services were thrown out of gear on Saturday afternoon for several hours after a 30-year-old man committed suicide by jumping onto the tracks at Girish Park station. The body could not be identified till late in the evening.

Normal services resumed only after 2 pm, but 13 trains had to be cancelled. Later, four special trains were deployed by the Metro authorities to transport the waiting passengers.

A Metro Railway spokesperson said a Dum Dum-bound train was entering the Girish Park station at 12.32 pm when the incident occurred.

“The man was well-dressed and of medium build. He was standing next to me and had allowed the previous train to pass. Maybe he had not made up his mind then. But this time, he did not wait. He was standing on the edge of the platform and jumped the moment he saw the headlights of the train pulling in,” said a witness.

Later, Metro chief operating manager D. Topno admitted that the organisation was too short-staffed to keep an eye on passengers. “A handful of staff and an equal number of policemen are deployed at every station. We need more men immediately so that we can put some people on platform watch. In the present scenario, our hands are tied,” Topno said. He added that the authorities would set up more video cameras and organise awareness drives.

Eight coaches had entered the platform when the man jumped. The motorman tried to stop the train by activating the emergency power block system, but it was too late. The Metro authorities switched off power supply to the tracks. The control room was also informed of the mishap, so that other trains could be stopped at a distance.

It took several minutes of persuasion over the public address system to get passengers to vacate the coaches of the train. The empty rakes then left the platform and the mangled human remains were removed from the tracks.

“No one has been able to identify the person so far and there have been no claimants,” said the duty officer of Girish Park police station.

Email This Page