The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
Sachin slaughtered Shoaib, ‘doctor sacrificed duty’

Krishnagar, March 2: A mob of local residents and relatives went on rampage at a nursing home here this morning following the death of a patient. Their charge: the attending doctor was busy watching the India-Pakistan match on television.

The doctor’s motorcycle was set ablaze and the nursing home’s windowpanes smashed.

Relatives of Asim Sarkar, who died of pancreatitis, alleged that the doctor did not attend to the patient when his condition worsened last evening. “He was glued to the television,” they said.

Police drove away the mob and picked up the doctor from his house nearby. He has been detained for interrogation, they said.

Sarkar’s brother Birendra has lodged two separate FIRs against the doctor and the nursing home at the local kotwali police station. “I will sue the doctor and the nursing home for negligence,” he said.

“We have received two FIRs. We have not arrested the doctor yet. We can only come to a conclusion (about his role) after proper investigation,” said inspector in-charge of the kotwali police station Santimoy Chowdhury.

The doctor, a general physician attached to a government hospital in Shaktinagar who also practised in private, however, refused to comment on allegations that he kept the patient waiting.

“I had the patient admitted to the nursing home and visited him thrice since Saturday night. If there was any fault with the hospital apparatus, I am helpless. I will not say anything more about it,” he said at the police station.

Nadia’s chief medical officer of health Prabas Chowdhury said: “Though a government hospital is not involved, the doctor is an employee of a government hospital in the district. If it is found after inquiry that the patient died because of his negligence, we will definitely initiate action against him.”

Sarkar’s relatives said he was a patient of chronic pancreatitis and his condition deteriorated last evening.

“We rushed him to the doctor’s chamber at his residence but he initially did not respond as he was watching the match on TV. After much coaxing, he agreed to see the patient and prescribed a few medicines,” said Jogomaya Chowdhury, Sarkar’s sister.

His condition worsened further, even after taking the medicines, and around 7 pm, Jogomaya and Birendra returned to the doctor. “The doctor asked us to admit Asim to the local nursing home and told us he would visit him there. We did exactly what we were told,” said Birendra.

The doctor, family members said, arrived at the nursing home close to midnight. He put the patient under oxygen and prescribed more medicines. “The oxygen apparatus was not working,” Birendra alleged.

The doctor asked the family to shift Sarkar to Gandhi Memorial Hospital in Kalyani this morning. He died hours later.

The family said Sarkar could have been shifted last night had the doctor asked them to.

Email This Page