The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
Deportivo cruise to 3-0 victory

Madrid: Deportivo Coruna beat Celta Vigo 3-0 in a fast-paced Galician derby on Saturday to move back into the top three in the Spanish first division.

Diego Tristan opened the scoring three minutes before halftime, the Spanish international striker shrugging his way past two defenders and lashing in from the edge of the box.

The second goal came via a corner three minutes after the break, with midfielder Sergio managing to turn the ball past Pablo Cavallero with a toe-poke from the far post.

Celta pressed forward and Albert Luque struck on the counter-attack to round off the scoring in the final minute.

Victory for Javier Irureta’s side took them up from sixth to third with 29 points from 16 matches. Celta slip one place to fifth.

Meanwhile, Real Betis missed the chance to get back among the Champions League qualification places when they went down 0-3 at Valladolid.

Fernando Sales gave Valladolid the lead five minutes into the second half and the Spanish midfielder made it 2-0 with a neat finish to a flowing move on 65 minutes.

As Betis chased the game with increasing desperation, young midfielder Oscar scored his first goal for Valladolid on the counter-attack.With 16 games played, Betis slip to sixth on 26 points.

Monaco eliminated

French champions Olympique Lyon and five-times winners Monaco were among top flight clubs beaten by lower division sides in the first round of the French Cup Saturday.

Fourth division Libourne Saint-Seurin stunned Lyon 0-1 at home, thanks to a strike by their captain Regis Castant 15 minutes.

Didier Deschamps’ Monaco went down at second division Wasquehal 2-3 after extra time, while 10-man Sochaux were beaten 1-2 at Grenoble, another second division side.

High-flying Olympique Marseille, record 10 times winners, had to work hard to tame Bastia 2-0 in the only all-first division clash of the first round.

Marseille, who lead the first division, won with goals by substitute Fernandao and midfielder Salomon Olembe in the last 12 minutes.

Fernandao, who came on for Ibrahima Bakayoko, headed home a fine cross from the right wing by defender Sebastien Perez in the 78th before Olembe sealed the match one minute from time.

The victory was the perfect start to the year for in-form Marseille who reached the winter break at the top of the league table with 35 points from 20 matches. Unbeaten at their Stade Velodrome ground since the season started, Marseille had to fight hard to overcome a strong physical and technical challenge from the Corsicans.

Former French international striker Lilian Laslandes forced Marseille goalkeeper Vedran Runje into a dramatic save, spoiling the visitors’ best chance to score in the 68th minute.

Monaco, who are in the hunt for the first division title, took the lead thanks to a lucky goal by midfielder Souleymane Camara in the 19th but Wasquehal hit back with seven minutes of normal time left.

In the 105th minute, midfielder Mathieu Bucher put Wasquehal in the driving seat but marksman Shabani Nonda equalised from the penalty spot in the 110th. The two sides looked on course for the penalty shootout but substitute Geoffrey Dernis scored the winner a minute later.

Monaco captain Ludovic Giuly was sent off four minutes from the end for his second bookable offence in the space of four minutes

Everton upset

High-flying Everton were upset 1-2 by struggling third division side Shrewsbury Town in a third round FA Cup match Saturday.

Nigel Jemson scored the 89th minute winner and the 38th minute opener at Shrewsbury’s home ground of Gay Meadow. Everton fielded a strong side, but substitute Niclas Alexandersson scored the only goal for the Toffees.

In other matches, Chelsea beat Middlesbrough 1-0 and two goals each from Matt Jansen and Dwight Yorke gave Blackburn a 4-1 win over Aston Villa.

Bolton drew 1-1 with Sunderland, earning a replay game, while Southampton completely outplayed Tottenham 4-0, Michael Svensson scoring twice.

Email This Page