A 30-year-old woman died and her eight-year-old son sustained serious burn injuries after a fire broke out in the ground floor of a three-storeyed house in Tara Road, in the Tollygunge police station area, on Saturday morning.
Three fire tenders were pressed into action around 11.40 am and the fire, which threatened to engulf other buildings in the densely-populated area, was brought under control after an hourís battle.
Police said the boy was rescued from the fire-ravaged building and was rushed to hospital in a critical condition.
After the flames were doused, the charred body of a woman was found inside the house. The woman was later identified as Sushma Shyamal, wife of Vishnupada Shyamal, and an employee of Calcutta Municipal Corporation. Vishnupada survived the accident since he was out of the city on a personal errand. The boy was their son Kiron.
Investigations indicate that the fire started after kerosene oil spilled from a defective cooking stove on Saturday morning. The police have seized the stove for examination and have initiated an inquiry.