Lahore: The International Cricket Council (ICC) Monday said Pakistan’s claim for compensation due to lost revenues will be reviewed at its dispute committee meeting next January.
Cricket in Pakistan was dealt with a serious blow after September 11 last year, as foreign teams pulled out of tours and opted to play Pakistan at neutral venues due to security concerns.
“There are no reasons to doubt that Pakistan suffered badly, incurring losses of around $20 million, and their request for compensation will be discussed in the dispute committee meeting in January,” visiting ICC chief executive Malcolm Speed said.
The shifting of two home series to neutral venues, against the West Indies and Australia earlier this year, devastated Pakistan financially.
And New Zealand’s rescheduled tour, postponed a week after the September 11 attacks, was cut short in May by one Test after a bomb blast outside the team’s hotel in Karachi killed 14 people.
They then refused to compete in a tri-series even after it was shifted to a neutral venue three months later, prompting a formal complaint by the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB). Pakistan have also threatened to play two Tests instead of the scheduled three on their tour of New Zealand next December.
Despite the assurances of a review, Speed appeared helpless in terms of ordering monetary compensation to Pakistan. “ICC does not have a pool of money to give to any country over and above other countries and it was left to other countries to contribute, which they did not,” Speed said.
He added that PCB refused a loan offer as a short-term solution. The ICC’s top officials attended a development committee meeting here which concluded Sunday but their visit remained focussed on the return of international cricket to this country and normalisation of cricket relations between India and Pakistan.
“Twelve months ago teams were not willing to go to Sri Lanka over security fears but now they are getting enough cricket and we hope the same happens in Pakistan,” Speed said. Pakistan are next scheduled to host Bangladesh and South Africa for a two-Test series followed by a tri-series from August. Both teams have confirmed their participation.