Sydney: Australian selectors have opted against including an extra spinner in the squad for the second Ashes Test beginning in Adelaide on November 21.
Chairman of selectors Trevor Hohns said his panel had considered the option of adding a second spinner at the spinner-friendly Adelaide Oval.
But Hohns said they decided to stick with the 12-man squad which humiliated England by 384 runs in the first Test at the Gabba last weekend.
“There was the option to select two spinners in the squad but we have retained the same balance of attack we had in Brisbane,” Hohns said Thursday.
“That balance, of three fast bowlers and one spinner in the final 11, has worked well for us in the past in most conditions and did the job well for us at the Gabba and so we saw no reason to change that mix for this Test match.”
Queensland off-spinner Nathan Hauritz would have been the likely choice to back up Shane Warne if a second spinner had been chosen.
The only remaining question about the second Test is whether 12th man Brett Lee will regain his pace bowling role at the expense of his Gabba replacement Andrew Bichel following his 10-wicket haul for New South Wales against Tasmania last weekend.
Steve Waugh (captain), Matthew Hayden, Justin Langer, Ricky Ponting, Damien Martyn, Darren Lehmann, Adam Gilchrist, Shane Warne, Brett Lee, Jason Gillespie, Glenn McGrath, Andy Bichel.