Calcutta: The BCCI has condemned the crowd behaviour during the one-day International between India and the West Indies in Rajkot Tuesday. BCCI president Jagmohan Dalmiya expressed concern about the safety and security of players of both teams.
“We do appreciate that law and order are subject matters of the local police authorities and they are the best judge to handle unruly crowd behaviour. But the BCCI cannot certainly be a silent spectator to such unruly behaviour in cricket matches,” Dalmiya said.
The BCCI supremo has already got in touch with Gujarat chief minister Narendra Modi and requested him to take the following measures for the matches in Ahmedabad (Friday) and Vadodara (Monday):
l Every spectator should be properly searched by the police personnel before they enter the stadium, so that no one is allowed to carry objects that could be used as potential missiles such as bottles (including plastic bottles), firecrackers, etc
l In case any spectator indulges in any activity that could lead to an untoward incident, he should immediately be taken into police custody
l In case any untoward incident is more than an isolated case, the particular stand should be vacated by the police with the help of the ground authorities
“We’re very happy that the Gujarat government has kindly agreed to the suggestions and has issued necessary instructions to the local police authorities to ensure that steps are taken on similar lines,” Dalmiya added.
“We have also issued necessary instructions to the concerned staging associations to install close circuit television sets and adequate cameras at strategic points in the stadia, so that mischief-mongers can be easily identified,” the president informed.
He added that Gujarat Cricket Association and the Baroda Cricket Association are being advised to work in close co-ordination with the police. The BCCI would make similar requests to the Rajasthan and Andhra Pradesh governments for the matches scheduled in Jodhpur and Vijaywada on November 21 and 24, respectively.
It was also told that the BCCI chief is getting in touch with his counterpart in the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) Wesley Hall to apprise him of the steps taken. “I hope that the WICB finds the steps satisfactory and advise the team appropriately,” he added.
ICC thinking hard
Reuters adds from London: Meanwhile, the ICC said it was looking at expanding its powers to remove international status from venues after crowd trouble again marred the one-day series in India.
ICC chief executive Malcolm Speed said while it did not at present have the authority to remove the international status of a venue, its Safety and Security Committee would consider it imminently.
“We have asked this committee to consider appropriate penalties for venues which consistently fail to meet their obligations in meeting minimum standards of security,” Speed said in a statement.
“This is likely to include the ultimate sanction of withdrawing international status from a ground, combined with a heavy financial penalty.”
Speed said the ICC had been in contact with the BCCI to ensure security measures would be enhanced in the remaining four matches. “The ICC is now in the process of seeking a full explanation of today’s unacceptable events in Rajkot.”