The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This PagePrint This Page
Couple found charred in steel plant quarters

Durgapur, Oct. 27: Police recovered the burnt bodies of an elderly couple from the Durgapur Steel Plant colony today.

Dulal Hore Chowdhury, a 62-year-old retired steel plant employee, and his wife Mira committed suicide at their Einstein Avenue residence this morning, police sources said.

They poured kerosene on their bodies and then set themselves on fire.

Dulal was found in the dining room while his wife’s body was recovered from the garden.

“We were informed early today by Dulal’s son-in-law and next-door neighbour Sanjib Mukherjee that the couple’s house was on fire. A fire engine was immediately sent to the spot. Policemen and firefighters broke into the house to douse the flames. We do not suspect any foul play,” said Tathagata Pandey, officer-in-charge of Durgapur police station.

The couple’s only daughter, Sushmita, had got married to Sanjib four years ago and stayed next to her parents. “We were informed of the tragedy by our neighbours around 6.45 in the morning. I found my mother lying in the garden and our house was on fire,” she said.

Sushmita said she was not aware of any domestic tension or altercation between her parents.

“But after his retirement, my father used to be very depressed regarding my elder brother Dipankar who is unemployed. He recently managed to get a job in Asansol, but it did not pay well,” she said.

“He had also been quite anxious for the past couple of weeks or so about our new house coming up in the city centre. He could not wait to see his dream project completed and was spending money recklessly on it,” Sushmita added.

“When I went to meet my parents after Bijoya, I found my father very tense and serious. Even my mother complained to me about his bad temper because of his incomplete house,” she said.

Sandhya Dan, a neighbour, said: “They were (the couple) very popular among us. But recently we noticed a change in Dulalda’s behaviour. He would always remain depressed and had been avoiding us for couple of weeks or so. For the last two three days, we often heard them quarrel.”

Email This PagePrint This Page