The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This PagePrint This Page
Twin murders rock city fringes

Calcutta, Oct. 19: Tension prevailed in North 24-Parganas district today after two persons were killed in Titagarh and Halisahar on the city’s northern fringes during last 24 hours.

Officials said Billa, 20, was killed by his associates at a roadside eatery in Titagarh last night over sharing of booty from a railway wagon robbery between Titagarh and Barrackpore.

Billa was a local criminal who had unleashed terror in Titagarh area.

Trouble started around 11 pm, when Billa and six of his associates assembled at a local eatery and started sharing the loot. A clash soon ensued after Billa demanded a major share, claiming to be the mastermind of the operation. While two of the gang members supported Billa, four differed and stabbed him to death on the spot.

“Billa was attacked by his own associates, who slit his throat with a knife,” confirmed an official of the Barrackpore police station. He said raids were being conducted to arrest those involved in the murder.

Panic gripped the area as news of Billa’s murder spread with residents of the area fearing that members of his gang might attack them to protest the murder. Police pickets have been posted in the area to prevent any violence.

In Kansrapara in Hooghly district, police recovered a decomposed body today from Teor Ghat in Halisahar. There was a cut mark on the neck of the corpse, police officials said.

The police later identified the body as that of Prem Chand Jaiswal, 20, who was missing since last night from Kansrapara Ghat during the immersion of the Durga idol.

Preliminary investigation revealed that Jaiswal was killed and his body then thrown into the river. The motive behind the murder is yet to be ascertained, the officials said.

Jaiswal, a trader in jute bags, was well known in Kansrapara, where he had been living for more than 10 years. As the news of his death reached the locality, a pall of gloom descended over the neighbourhood.

Residents of the area assembled at the Kansrapara police station, demanding the immediate arrest of the culprits.

“If the police fail to arrest the miscreants in the next two days, we intensify our protest,” said a resident of the area.

Email This PagePrint This Page