The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This PagePrint This Page
Reveller killed in gang war

Chinsurah (Hooghly), Oct. 16: The peace that held during the Pujas in the district was shattered last night as Satyanarayan Tagore, 28, was stabbed to death at Rabindranagar when he got caught in a gang war while returning from the immersion ceremony of Goddess Durga.

Superintendent of police Ajay Kumar said: “Satyanarayan was attacked by miscreants while returning from the immersion ceremony last night. The police, on receiving the complaint, arrested prime suspect Sanjib Biswas last night. Twenty others have also been held. A police picket has been set up in the area. We will take into custody other suspects by tonight.”

As news of the murder of the employee of Belur’s Ambika Jute Mill spread this morning, the area became tense. Residents beat up Ananda Das, alleged to be involved in the gang war between rival miscreants, Sanjib and Laltu. Das’ house was also ransacked by a violent mob. Das was admitted to Chinsurah Hospital with serious injuries.

Sub-inspector Bikash Das of the Chinsurah police station was harassed by the mob when he arrived to rescue Das. His jeep was thrown into a pond.

Deputy superintendent of police (Sadar) Basudeb Dey had to rush to the spot with reinforcements to bring the situation under control. The large force made a lathi charge to scatter the mob. The superintendent of police deployed a battalion of combat force in the area from 10 am to 3 pm to maintain peace.

Recounting the murder, Suresh, Satyanarayan’s brother, said: “We were returning last night from the immersion ceremony when we came across a seriously injured youth lying in a gutter in the Sitalatala area. He said he was beaten up by Sanjib’s gang. My brother got hold of a van to take him to hospital. We were attacked the next moment by a gang of 15-16 miscreants. I escaped to call our neighbours, but when we returned, my brother was lying in a pool of blood.”

Email This PagePrint This Page