Cape Town: South African prosecutors on Sunday dismissed a complaint of indecent assault brought against Manchester United soccer manager Alex Ferguson.
“A prosecution in this matter, which has wasted everyone’s time, would be ridiculous and I have accordingly declined to bear a prosecution,” Rodney de Cock, deputy director of public prosecutions, said in a statement.
The prosecutor’s decision came within hours of receiving a case docket from police, detailing allegations made by a young South African woman from the tourist resort of Cape Town.
A spokeswoman for South African police had said the assault was alleged to have taken place in a vehicle at 2 am on Friday.
On Sunday, newspapers in Britain and South Africa carried reports and purported details of the indecent assault complaint by the woman from Cape Town.
Meanwhile, Ferguson strongly rejected the allegations as ‘ridiculous’ and said they had distressed his family.
“I would like to make it clear that any allegations of improper conduct, let alone sexual assault, on my part are untrue and entirely without foundation,” he said in a statement.
Ferguson, 60, said he had arrived in South Africa earlier in the week, accompanied by his wife, Cathy.
In his explanation of events, Ferguson said the woman had offered to give him a lift from a jazz club in the tourist resort of Cape Town to his hotel on Thursday night.