ADVERTISEMENT

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, who figures in Epstein files, arrested; palace, PM and victims’ family respond

Thames Valley Police said earlier this month officers were considering allegations that Mountbatten-Windsor had passed documents to the late convicted sex offender, according to files released by the US government

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Reuters

Our Web Desk, Agencies
Published 19.02.26, 03:41 PM

The UK police on Thursday arrested Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, the younger brother of King Charles III, on suspicion of misconduct in public office following allegations over his association with convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.

Thames Valley Police said they are carrying out searches at addresses associated with the former prince in Berkshire and Norfolk, while he remains in police custody.

ADVERTISEMENT

It was reported that six unmarked police cars and around eight plain-clothed officers arrived at Wood Farm, on the Sandringham estate in eastern England, where Mountbatten-Windsor now lives.

While the force said they will not be naming the arrested man, it was reported that the arrest involves Andrew, who turned 66 on Thursday.

"Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office," said Oliver Wright, assistant chief constable of Thames Valley Police.

"It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence. We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time," he said.

"We will not be naming the arrested man, as per national guidance. Please also remember that this case is now active so care should be taken with any publication to avoid being in contempt of court," Thames Valley Police said.

Virginia Giuffre’s family said in a statement that Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrest showed that “no one is above the law”, reported The Guardian.

"At last, today our broken hearts have been lifted with the news that no one is above the law – not even royalty. On behalf of our sister, we extend our gratitude to the UK’s Thames Valley Police in their investigation and arrest of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor. He was never a prince. For survivors everywhere, Virginia did this for you,” read the statement.

Giuffre was one of the most prominent victims of Epstein who also alleged she had been sexually trafficked to Prince Andrew. She took her own life in April 2025, aged 41.

Before the arrest was announced, the Prime Minister told BBC Breakfast, “nobody is above the law” when asked about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor.

Keir Starmer added: "Anybody who has any information should testify. So whether it’s Andrew or anybody else, anybody who has got relevant information should come forward to whatever the relevant body is, in this particular case we’re talking about Epstein, but there are plenty of other cases."

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor is the first senior royal in modern history to be arrested.

The arrest follows allegations released in the Epstein files by the US Congress, with Buckingham Palace issuing a statement earlier this month saying it "stands ready" to support a police investigation into Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s conduct.

"The King has made clear, in words and through unprecedented actions, his profound concern at allegations which continue to come to light in respect of Mr Mountbatten-Windsor's conduct. While the specific claims in question are for Mr Mountbatten-Windsor to address, if we are approached by Thames Valley Police we stand ready to support them as you would expect. As was previously stated, Their Majesties' [Charles and Camilla] thoughts and sympathies have been, and remain with, the victims of any and all forms of abuse," the Palace said.

The statement came after the 77-year-old monarch was heckled during royal visits.

Prince William and Kate Middleton’s office also issued a statement, saying: "I can confirm the Prince and Princess have been deeply concerned by the continuing revelations. Their thoughts remain focused on the victims," Kensington Palace said.

Andrew, who was stripped of all his royal titles of Prince and Duke of York last year, has denied wrongdoing.

The BBC reported that Andrew was arrested over allegations he sent confidential government documents to Jeffrey Epstein.

Earlier this month, police were considering claims that Mountbatten-Windsor had passed documents to the late convicted sex offender.

Mountbatten-Windsor was reported to police by the anti-monarchy group Republic following the release of more than 3 million pages of documents related to Epstein, who was convicted in 2008 of soliciting prostitution from a minor.

Those files suggested that in 2010, Mountbatten-Windsor forwarded to Epstein reports about Vietnam, Singapore, and other places he had visited on official trips.

Thames Valley Police and the Crown Prosecution Service have previously said they were in discussions over the case. Police said allegations of misconduct in public office, which is a Common Law offence, involved "particular complexities".

Epstein Files Jeffrey Epstein
Follow us on:
ADVERTISEMENT