Are you considering studying abroad but wondering about the course fees? Know about the OCSI scholarship and how it can help you study at the University of Oxford and the University of Cambridge if you’re planning to take up courses there.
The Oxford and Cambridge Society of India (OCSI) Scholarships are given for undergraduate, post graduate and research courses in any subject/ course or field of study available at the Universities of Cambridge and the University of Oxford, UK. It is a part-cost scholarship offered to Indian students wishing to study abroad and aids them financially as well as academically. The selection of this scholarship is based on the academic excellence of the candidate.
OCSI Scholarship: About the awards
- There is no discrimination in the OCSI scholarship selection process on the basis of race, colour, age, sex or ancestry. It is an equal and fair opportunity provided to all.
- 3 separate OCSI scholarships scholarships, each worth INR 200,000 are awarded each year to Indian students enrolled at either the University of Cambridge or the University of Oxford, UK. These are:
- OCSI K.K. Luthra Memorial Scholarship
- OCSI Anita Banerji Memorial Scholarship
- OCSI Nirmal Luthra Memorial Scholarship
- One scholarship worth INR 100,000 is only awarded to a student from Emmanuel College, University of Cambridge. This award is given by the Emmanuel College Cambridge (India) Trust.
- One scholarship worth INR 100,000 is only awarded to students wanting to study at St. Hilda’s College, Oxford
- Students who win the scholarships also receive complimentary life membership of the Oxford and Cambridge Society of India
- A letter of support from OCSI for other scholarship-awarding bodies is also furnished
- On request, a member of OCSI may also play the role of a mentor and provide guidance to the awardee if needed.
OCSI Scholarship: Eligibility Criteria
To be eligible for the OCSI scholarship, the candidate must note the following eligibility criteria:
- Candidate must be a citizen of India
- He or she must be not more than 30 years of age on 1 September of the year of application for the award
- If applying to a second undergraduate or a postgraduate course, then the candidate must have graduated from an Indian university. For undergraduate degrees, they must have passed out from a recognised school in India.
- The candidate must secure admission to a full-time course at the University of Cambridge or the University of Oxford.
- Also, the applicants are required to submit proof of admission before being granted scholarship, and provide proof of residence at Cambridge or Oxford before the scholarship funds are released.
Candidates must follow the usual admission procedure of the concerned University. They should also note that the OCSI will not take any responsibility for assisting students' admission. Also, relatives of the Executive Committee of the Oxford and Cambridge Society of India are not eligible for these scholarships.
OCSI Scholarship Parameters:
The scholarship is awarded to a candidate based on three factors which are:
- Soft Skills: Good presentation skills, should possess a vision and clarity of thought and be confident
- Hard Skills: high academic performance, must have engaged in extracurricular activities, and a unique proposition in the field of study or social work
- Financial Resource: Candidates might be asked to provide the details of resources available to them along with supporting documents.
Here’s a look at a few important points to note for the application process for the OCSI Scholarship.
- Students will be required to possess an offer letter from the University of Oxford or Cambridge or any other affiliated colleges.
- The application form for the OCSI scholarships is available from March every year on the official website.
- The applications must be completed and should reach the Oxford and Cambridge Society of India as early as possible.
- Candidates shortlisted will be required to attend an interview with the OCSI scholarship committee. Details of the interviews are shared in due course.
- Scholarship awards are usually awarded to the selected candidates by the end of July.
So what are you waiting for? Apply at your earliest for the scholarship and get your dream of studying at the top colleges of the UK fulfilled.