If you pride yourself on your people skills and see yourself in the boardroom in the near future, a five-year Integrated Programme in Management (IPM), which is a combination of undergraduate- and postgraduate-level courses, could be the next step in your career.
Eligibility for IPM and its scope:
To become eligible for this programme, you need to pass your Class XII board exams. Then you should clear relevant merit or entrance-based exams as required by specific colleges. The programme aims to equip students with managerial and decision-making abilities as well as problem-solving skills and analytical techniques. The first three years generally focus on building a strong foundation, while the last two years train them on core management skills.
Why choose an integrated MBA
The five-year integrated programme will give you an advantage as it saves on time and expenses of having to undergo separate BBA and MBA programmes. This course is the best way to imbibe the fundamentals of business management in a phased manner.
Students enrolled in this programme will not have to appear for separate entrance exams for BBA and MBA. The span of this course will help you determine your areas of specialisation without much haste. There is also ample time for internships.
Who can apply
You can apply for admission to this course after having completed your Class XII board exams from a recognised board with at least 60% aggregate in any stream. The mode of admission varies from one college to another — it could be merit-based or dependent on your rank in an entrance test. The official websites of individual colleges need to be checked for exam requirements and detailed selection/admission processes. After clearing the exams, you need to appear for a personal interview.
The first few years of the course focuses on the foundation of a student. It is followed by core management skills leading to leadership roles and positions of responsibility in different sectors. Some of the core fundamentals taught in the first three years include subjects such as Economics, Statistics and Mathematics, coupled with other subjects like Sociology, Political Science, Psychology, Humanities, Literature, Language skills and Fine Arts.
The next two years generally include core management subjects such as Finance, Accounting, Communication, Economics, International Trade, Marketing, Strategy, Quantitative Techniques, Operations Management, Information Systems, Operational Behaviour and Human Resource (HR).
Management jobs in various sectors like finance, HR, sales and marketing and retail are available for IPM students. Management consultant, business head, sales manager, HR manager, retail manager and digital marketing manager are some of the job roles that suit the profile of someone who has finished their course. Budding entrepreneurs can also benefit from this programme as it inculcates in them the fundamentals of running a business.
Institutes and related exams
- IIMs at Indore, Rohtak, Jammu, Ranchi, Bodh Gaya conduct the IPM course. Students need to clear the Integrated Programme in Management Aptitude Test (IPMAT) after completing their Class XII board exams. IPMAT is followed by a Written Ability Test (WAT) and Personal Interview (PI).
- NALSAR Hyderabad requires at least 60% aggregate in the Class XII board exams for admission to the five-year course. Students need to produce valid CLAT (UG) or IPMAT or the JEE Mains scores.
- Indian Institute of Foreign Trade (IIFT) will run its integrated programme from the September 2022 session on its Kakinada campus in Andhra Pradesh. Selection will be done on the basis of at least 60% aggregate both Class X and XII board exams. Students need Mathematics/Business Mathematics as a mandatory subject in their Class XII board exams. They also need to clear the IPMAT 2022 entrance exam conducted by IIM Indore for admission to the integrated course.
- Xavier University Bhubaneswar conducts merit-based interviews for admission to the five-year integrated course.
- Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies inducts students after they clear the National Test for Programmes after Twelvth (NMIMS-NPAT).
- Nirma University Institute of Management requires valid scores of the Under Graduate Admission Test (UGAT) after the Class XII board exams.
- SRM Institute of Science and Technology admits students depending on their Class XII results and personal interviews.
- Mumbai University requires students to clear the Mumbai University Common Management Entrance Test (MUCMET) after Class XII.
- Lucknow University admits students to the five-year course on the basis of their Class XII results.
- Jindal Global Business School requires students to appear for Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) or Jindal SAT (JSAT) or UGAT after obtaining 60% aggregate in their Class XII board exams.
- Devi Ahalya Viswavidyalaya, Indore, admits students on the basis of their Class XII results and performance at the Devi Ahalya Viswavidyalaya Common Entrance Test (DAVV CET).
- Kurukshetra University admits students on the basis of their Class XII results and performance in an entrance exam.
- NIIT University, Neemrana, Rajasthan, admits students on the basis of their Class XII results.