‘Whatever subject you choose in elementary to high school to college, you have a chance to contribute to the world of AI&ML and you might not be aware of it,’ said Subhendu Dey, a renowned thought leader in the disciplines of cloud computing, data analytics, strategy, and architecture and the guest speaker at The Telegraph Online Edugraph's webinar on ‘How to Be an AI/ML Expert’ held on 23 July 2022.
More than 500 learners participated in the online session, which is a part of The Telegraph Edugraph's "How to be" series.
The webinar was designed to help students get in-depth knowledge of numerous areas in the field of Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning as well as career opportunities in the industries.
Following are the top takeaways from the hour-long webinar:
- AI refers to the intelligence displayed by machines or computers, and it find a lot of application in extracting meaning from large tracts of unstructured data. AI has its roots in machine learning algorithms and training which is the domain of an AI expert.
- AI needs an ecosystem to succeed and we all are contributing to the world of AI in ways we are not even aware of.
- Machine learning is what happens when a user interacts with a machine regularly and it learns from these interactions. It can then create a model of what it has learnt which is a software component and exists in the form of mathematical equations.
- Google Search used to only give a list of links a few decades ago, but it can now answer users’ questions! This is an aspect of AI known as Natural Language Query and Answer.
- In the domain of AI & ML, one could also get a PhD in Language Modelling - which is actually the autocorrect text that appears while you are framing a message.
- Those interested in AI & ML should start by doing a bachelor’s degree at any Engineering college under any stream or a bachelor’s degree in Mathematics/Statistics and specialise after. Of course, the first step to doing that is to take the JEE main exam.
- AI & ML have a wide range of career opportunities in today’s time, and it offers good salaries and prospects for growth.
A key highlight of the session was that perseverance is the key to success in the world of AI.