If you are someone who is looking for a well-paying job that has a certain charm attached to it, then Hotel Management can be your go-to course. The luxury aspect of the job is something that attracts thousands of students every year to take up this course. However, as with any job, hotel management professionals early years of their career, need to put in long hours and significant efforts to rise up the professional ladder.
Hotel Management as a Career Option
A person who has completed a Hotel Management course has a vast array of career options open to them, particularly in the food and beverage industry. As a part of their curriculum, they are exposed to industrial training opportunities that help them understand the ground realities and develop leadership skills.
Acquiring a degree in Hotel Management can prepare you to capitalies on the burgeoning markets overseas, as well. Students often dream of working at international locations and might just take up this course for the perks that it offers. Being associated with a large chain of hotels can open up opportunities for you to travel to different locations, both domestic and abroad.
No wonder then, Hotel Management is one of the most popular choices of courses in India.
Hotel Management Courses at the Degree Level
Hotel Management has a wide variety of courses ranging from full-time to diploma courses. After the completion of your +2, you can opt for any of these courses based on your area of interest.
- BA in Hotel Management
- BSc in Hospitality and Hotel Administration
- Bachelor of Hotel Management (BHM)
- BBA in Hospitality, Travel & Tourism
- Bachelor in Hotel Management and Catering Technology (BHMCT)
PG Diploma Courses in Hotel Management
After completing a UG degree in Hotel management or a related field, candidates can opt for a Diploma programme that allows them to specialise in a chosen area:
- Diploma in Hospitality Management
- Diploma in Hotel Management
- Diploma in Hotel Management and Catering Technology
- Diploma in Housekeeping
- Diploma in Aviation Hospitality and Travel Management
PG Courses in Hotel Management
For those wishing to upskill further, there is always the option of pursuing a postgraduate degree that prepares them for more responsibilities and prestigious positions in the Hotel Management industry:
- MBA in Hotel Management
- MBA in Hospitality Management
- Master of Hotel Management (MHM)
- Master in Tourism and Hotel Management (MTHM)
Different Domains in Hotel Management Education
Hotel Management courses offer a variety of subjects to their students. From Hospitality etiquette to Housekeeping Principles, subjects covered impart key industrial knowledge one needs to have. Here is the list of various subjects offered under the Hotel Management Course:
- Event Management
- Front Office procedures
- Menu Planning & Design
- Project Management
- Hotel Law
- Hospitality Etiquettes
- Hotel Economics and Statistics
- Behavioral Science
- Practices and Principles of Management
- Hotel Economics and Statistics
- Food and Beverage Production
- Employee and Public Relations
- Food and Production Services
These subjects, however, are not all mandatory. Depending on the course you are taking, you may be offered some of these, or others not included in the list. Candidates may also have the option to choose specific subjects depending on the area of the industry they want to work in.
Following are the eligibility criteria that a candidate needs to possess to make a career in Hotel Management:
- A candidate can opt for a full-time undergraduate degree course, a diploma or a certification course. In each of the cases, the student must have passed their +2 with the minimum cut-off mark set by the university they are applying to.
- Candidates can also pursue Hotel Management degrees and courses abroad. To be eligible for these, in addition to having the requisite marks, they must appear for IELTS, TOEFL or PTE with a high percentile mark, as well.
- Students must pass the entrance exams conducted by the universities that offer the course in order to get admission.
- A good grip on the English Language can just prove to be the cherry on the cake.
- For PG courses, some universities make it mandatory for candidates to have at least 2-3 years of work experience.
Top Institutes and Colleges for Hotel Management Course in India
Faculty members play a crucial role in imparting the right knowledge and attitude to students, particularly in the case of Hotel Management. So it is very important to pick a top college - one that offers the best in terms of academics, experience and faculty. Check out the list of the top institutes and colleges in India for Hotel Management here:
- Institute of Hotel Management, Kolkata (IHM)
- Institute of Hotel Management, Catering and Nutrition, New Delhi
- Institute of Hotel Management, Bangalore (IHM)
- Institute of Hotel Management, Catering Technology and Applied Nutrition, Mumbai
- Indian Institute of Hotel Management and Culinary arts (IIHMCA), Hyderabad
- Institute of Hotel Management, Hyderabad (IHM)
- Banarasidas Chandiwala Institute of Hotel Management and Catering Technology, New Delhi
- Army Institute of Hotel Management and Catering Technology, Bangalore
- Dr Ambedkar Institute of Hotel Management and Nutrition, Chandigarh
Skills Required for a Career in Hotel Management
Want to stand out from the crowd? You need to have the right set of skills to pursue any career. Growing and nurturing your skills is one of the key aspects of what it takes to have a successful career. When passion and skill are combined, you can surely expect to make a masterpiece out of it.
- You need to be communicative in nature
- You need to be cordial, flexible and friendly
- An introverted personality can prevent you from shining in your area
- You need to have good body language and gestures in order to welcome your guests
Job Opportunities in Hotel Management
Hotels, Spas and Resorts recruit students in bulk from Hotel Management courses. Most often, these sectors hire freshers and train them for high positions. Many Hotel Management graduates can also be found working in restaurants, bars and kitchens as Chefs or Bartenders or Food and Beverage Managers.
The job prospects in Hotel Management are undoubtedly huge. The salary package can range from 2 Lakhs per annum to 20 lakhs per annum, depending on your designation. Some of the top companies recruiting in the Hotel Management domain are Marriott International Inc., Hyatt chain of Hotels, Accor Hotels, ITC Group of Hotels, Le Meridien Group of Hotels, Oberoi Group of Hotels and a lot more.
If you are looking for a job with security after doing Hotel Management, then there are even government job opportunities which you can apply for. There are actually various jobs in the public sector for Hotel Management graduates, like FSSAI Jobs, Railway catering, Hospitality Managers in Government Airlines, IRCTC Catering Manager and various jobs in Food Corporation of India (FCI).