Being a leader is not always easy. It is about bringing together like-minded people to share a similar vision of a better future. It usually requires overcoming challenges, juggling competing agendas, and working with limited resources. Despite making the best efforts, sometimes you will have a downfall while at all other times, you will succeed.
These obstacles multiply many folds for women in leadership positions. This holds for the majority of working women, even though many women have risen to leadership positions and are making significant strides not only in their businesses, but also in the day-to-day operation of their companies by demonstrating deep knowledge, experience, and an air of confidence that makes them true role models.
Women possess a distinct leadership style that influences the decision-making process and how they lead their teams. Research shows that women tend to be more collaborative, communicative, and empathetic in their interactions. The diversity of perspectives that women bring to the table can lead to more creative solutions.
To help women leaders sustain and grow in their leadership roles, a few resourceful tips are mentioned below:
1. Prioritise your well-being - This is one of the most important things you can do as a female leader. Taking this approach, women leaders can take a broader look at mental and physical health, as well as happiness in general. Leaders who place a high priority on well-being are better able to manage the demands of their roles and make more informed decisions. Balance your work and personal lives by taking breaks, managing stress, and taking care of yourself.
2. Trust yourself in the journey: Effective leadership largely depends on self-belief and trust in one's abilities. An effective leader must possess a strong sense of self-confidence to make a positive contribution. When women leaders are confident in themselves and believe in their visions and goals, they can inspire others to believe in their strengths and abilities. It can lead to a more positive and productive working environment.
3. Build strong relationships: Women leaders should work to develop strong relationships with their team/s, it will facilitate creating a positive work environment. The best way to do this is through open communication, empathy, and respect. Women leaders should also invest in the growth of their team members, providing them with opportunities to learn and grow. In this way, leadership can gain trust, which results in a more motivated, engaged, and productive workforce.
4. Have a Flexible Attitude: One of the most essential qualities for women in leadership roles is their ability to adapt to change. Maintain a flexible attitude throughout your tenure as a leader to cope with a dynamic and changing workplace. Besides helping you grow; this will also bring a degree of diversity in you that is crucial for leaders.
5. Prioritise Work-Life Balance- Women leaders who prioritize work-life balance can serve as role models for their team members and colleagues, showing them that it is possible to be successful while also prioritizing self-care. Research has shown that employees who have a good work-life balance are more productive and engaged. To be able to successfully maintain a work-life balance helps in preventing burnout.
6. Enhance your leadership style: Everyone has a unique leadership style, so finding the one that works for a woman leader is crucial. It is not inappropriate to learn from other successful women leaders, but in that journey, it is equally important to remain true to yourself and your values. Women in leadership roles with strong values can have a profound influence on society and the community at large by creating an organization that is prosperous, and resilient, and in turn, help to create a better world for everyone.
7. Be open to diversity and inclusion: A diverse team with different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives can bring a lot of value to an organization. Women leaders should embrace diversity and inclusion because it leads to better business decisions, improved employee engagement, increased productivity, and entrepreneurship, attracting and retaining talent, promoting social responsibility, and meeting customer needs.
8. The road ahead: Based on my experience as the founder of a fast-paced HR tech organization, my advice to women leaders will be to network within their industry and build strong connections, it will help them to carve their path. Don’t be afraid to take risks: include experts from your industry in your team and take calculated risks. There is no one size fits all formula for this ongoing dilemma. Based on your current role and future aspirations, identify your goal, and take the journey backed by strategic learning and development.
About The Author
Smiti Bhatt Deorah CO- founder and COO of Advantage Club - Smiti Bhatt Deorah the Co-founder & COO of Advantage Club, a global platform for employee engagement on a unified platform. She looks after the overseas various functions, including business development, marketing, customer relations and content operations. Disrupt the traditional employees beyond the provided fund and corporate discount schemes extensively. Under her leadership, Advantage Club revolutionizes employee engagement and the client relationship market. It has grown into a platform through which corporates can engage more meaningfully with their clients, while brands can easily reach out to the customer segment of their choice.