The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kharagpur has invited applications for a 12-week free online course on Introduction to Internet of Things. The course will be offered through the National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning (NPTEL) platform.
This AICTE-approved Faculty Development Programme (FLP) is all about providing different aspects, principles and tools that will help in building the Internet of Things. It is important to learn the underlying fundamentals of this technology as IoT-based applications such as innovative shopping systems, infrastructure management in both urban and rural areas, remote health monitoring and emergency notification systems, and transportation systems are gradually relying on IoT-based systems, says the NPTEL website.
The course is being conducted by Sudip Misra, professor at the Department of Computer Science and Engineering at IIT Kharagpur. The course is completely free, and can be taken up by students and professionals as both. However, if the participants want a certificate, they will have to register and write the proctored exam conducted in person at any of the designated exam centres. The exam is optional for a fee of Rs 1,000. Only the e-certificate will be made available, which they can download for use. There will be no hard copies issued.
The proctored examination will be conducted from 9am to 12pm and 2pm to 5pm on April 23, 2022.
The course will cover the following aspects:
- Introduction to IoT: Sensing, Actuation, and Basics of Networking.
- Communication Protocols.
- Sensor Networks.
- Machine-to-machine Communications.
- Interoperability in IoT, introduction to Arduino programming: Integration of Sensors and Actuators with Arduino.
- Introduction to Python programming and Raspberry Pi, and implementation of IoT with Raspberry Pi.
- Introduction to SDN, SDN for IoT.
- Data Handling and Analytics, and Cloud Computing.
- Fog Computing, Smart Cities and Smart Homes.
- Connected Vehicles, Smart Grid, and Industrial IoT.
- Case Study: Agriculture, Healthcare, and Activity Monitoring.
Who can apply?
While the programme is open to anyone who wants to learn about the subject, it would be most beneficial for applicants from the following background:
- Computer Science Engineering
- Information Technology
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Instrumentation Engineering
- Industrial Engineering
- Participants need to have a basic knowledge of programming
Participants will receive an e-certificate only if they obtain an average assignment score of 10 out of 25, and an average exam score of 30 out of 75.
To apply for this course click here. The course details are now available on the SWAYAM NPTEL platform.