Education minister Bratya Basu said on Friday he would speak to chief minister Mamata Banerjee next week on the introduction of a centralised online admission system and a four-year undergraduate programme and make an announcement.
The principals of government and government-aided colleges said they are worried over the forthcoming undergraduate admission process and the structure of the undergraduate programme as the education department is yet to announce its decisions on the two issues.
The principals said it was high time the government cleared the air on the two issues as plus-II results of all boards had been announced.
“We are holding discussions about this.... I will speak to chief minister Mamata Banerjee next week on these two issues. Once I get a green signal from her, I will bring these two issues before you so we can answer all the queries,” Basu said on Friday afternoon.
The government had on April 25 announced that the centralised online admission system would be rolled out in the 2023-24 academic year.
Only a handful of autonomous and minority institutions, which are outside the purview of the centralised system, have announced the start of their undergraduate admission process.
All three autonomous colleges under the Ramakrishna Mission have announced the dates of their admission tests.
Scottish Church College, a minority institution, started receiving online applications for admission to undergraduate courses on May 24, the day the higher secondary results were announced.
“We spoke to the education department about the start of our admission process,” principal Madhumanjari Mandal told Metro.
“The absence of clarity from the government on the introduction of the centralised admission system and the four-year undergraduate programme during the admission season is bound to create anxiety among undergraduate aspirants. We are receiving queries, but the colleges don’t have any information to share,” said the principal of a college in south Calcutta.