China sharpens attack on Nasheed
China on Tuesday sharpened its attack on former Maldivian President Mohamed Nasheed over his allegations of land grabbing by Beijing in his country, saying the charges are "ridiculous fabrications".
- Published 14.02.18
Beijing: China on Tuesday sharpened its attack on former Maldivian President Mohamed Nasheed over his allegations of land grabbing by Beijing in his country, saying the charges are "ridiculous fabrications".
Nasheed had told the media in Colombo last month that China is indulging in land grabbing, threatening not just the Maldives, but the peace and the stability of the entire region. The large and emerging power is "busy buying up the Maldives",? he had said, referring to China.
"Last week, I responded similar remarks made by Nasheed. His latest ones are nothing new," foreign ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said here on Tuesday.
The allegations are "sheer ridiculous fabrications",? he told the media.
"I would like to remind Nasheed that whether China and Maldives cooperation is beneficial to the two countries shall be judged in the final analysis by the two peoples and will not be undermined by any one side story," he said.
Geng was responding to a question on Nasheed's allegations in which he had alleged that China is indulging in land grabbing as Beijing has acquired over 17 islands with plans to invest $40 million more.
China has been criticising Nasheed, who has been calling for India's military intervention in the Maldives after President Abdullah Yameen imposed emergency in the island nation, detained top judges and former longtime president Maumoon Abdul Gayoom. Yameen's move came after the apex court ruled to release nine high-profile political prisoners, including Nasheed. PTI