Techie dies in plant mishap

Anirban Sinha Babu

Durgapur: A 30-year-old assistant manager - the only child of aged parents and the father of an 18-month-old daughter - was killed in accident while on duty the Durgapur Steel Plant on Wednesday when his head got smashed against a metallic bar weighing a tonne and moving at a high speed.

Colleagues said the head of Anirban Sinha Babu, the assistant manager (mechanical), was smashed beyond recognition. Rushed to the plant's emergency medical unit and then to the plant hospital, he was declared dead on arrival by physicians.

According to the colleagues, Babu was part of a team of engineers and technicians engaged in readying a bloom-cum-round caster - a machine at the continuous casting plant - in which steel bloom bars are produced from liquid steel around 11am.

"He had put his head in to see why the bar was not in motion, when it suddenly moved up, hitting his face. He was not wearing a hard hat at the time, but that would not have offered any protection from this. While it was a technical glitch, it was not really a safety issue because he had put his head in," said a technician who saw the incident take place.

"He immediately collapsed. There was blood everywhere. His head was mangled," he added.

Babu, a resident of Durgapur, had completed his Bachelor of Engineering degree from a private engineering college in the town, after completing his CBSE plus two examinations from the Hem Sheela Model School. He started working at the plant four years ago.

His wife, a schoolteacher in Raiganj, was on her way to Durgapur with their 18-month-old daughter after knowing about the incident.

His elderly parents, who used to stay with him in the company's quarters at the steel township, went to the hospital after being informed of the death. Neither was in a position to speak. The mother lost consciousness on several occasions.

The plant management has constituted a three-member inquiry committee, headed by a general manager, to ascertain the cause of the accident and suggest necessary measures to prevent recurrence.

"The incident is very unfortunate. We have lost a young assistant manager. We have already constituted a high-power inquiry committee," said Chinmay Samajdar, the plant's chief of communication.


Back to top icon