Maniktala boy dies of dengue

A 10-year-old boy from Maniktala died of dengue at a city hospital early on Tuesday after four days of fever.

By Our Special Correspondent in Calcutta
  • Published 12.09.18
Aarush Dutta

Calcutta: A 10-year-old boy from Maniktala died of dengue at a city hospital early on Tuesday after four days of fever.

Aarush Dutta, a Class V student of South Point School (afternoon section), had fever on Friday and was admitted to Divine Nursing Home on Saturday after a positive NS1 test.

He was shifted to Medica Superspecialty Hospital late on Monday after his condition deteriorated. He was put on ventilator and he died at 5.55am on Tuesday.

His death certificate mentions "severe dengue fever with haemorrhage".

The family lives in the Pary Mohan Sur area of Maniktala.

His IgM test at the nursing home was negative, a doctor who treated Aarush said.

A doctor at Medica hospital said the IgM test had been done immediately after the onset of fever.

"The test looks for the presence of antibodies against the dengue virus in the blood... but the test should be performed five days after the onset of fever because the antibodies don't appear before that," the doctor said.

Aarush's blood sample had been tested on Sunday, the third day since the onset of fever. Nursing home officials did not want to say anything on this.

The boy's NS1 test, which looks for antigens in the blood, was positive and he had clinical symptoms of dengue like bleeding, indicating internal haemorrhage, and respiratory distress, the doctor said. His urine output was low and pulse feeble.

Aarush's father Abhishek Dutta, an assistant vice-president with a private bank, said the family had wasted no time in getting him admitted to a hospital.

"But his condition deteriorated after improving initially. We shifted him to Medica on the advice of doctors at the nursing home," Dutta said.

"Since his respiratory distress had increased, he needed to be put on ventilator... but it was not available at the nursing home."

Aarush took his terminal exams on Thursday. "He wrote his English paper. He was a good student who loved to dance," D.K. Chadda, principal, South Point School, said.

Dengue deaths have of late been reported from Duttabad in Salt Lake, Topsia and Behala.

More than 700 people have tested positive for dengue so far this year, a civic official said.

"There have been at least three deaths in the Calcutta Municipal Corporation area. We have sent the death certificates and the treatment records to the health department.

"The government has formed a committee to go through the records and declare the exact reason of death," the official said.