Charred to death

A 26-year-old homemaker died in a fire in the attic of a building in Ahiritola, central Calcutta, this evening.

By A Staff Reporter
  • Published 7.03.17
  •  

March 6: A 26-year-old homemaker died in a fire in the attic of a building in Ahiritola, central Calcutta, this evening.

The cause of the fire has not yet been ascertained. Police said it was not clear yet whether Sraboni Pal, who was alone in the room when the fire broke out, had committed suicide.

A preliminary probe did not suggest any foul play.

The four-storey building has more than 25 tenants.

Srabani, husband Biswajit and their three-and-a-half-year-old daughter lived in the room where the woman died. Biswajit's parents live in the same building.

The Pals own a garment store less than 100m from the house.

Neighbours alerted the fire brigade after spotting smoke billowing out of the room around 7pm. Five tenders from the CR Avenue fire station arrived within 20 minutes.

"The flames were doused in 15 minutes. The doors of the room were open when we reached there. The charred body of a woman was lying on the floor. The room was completely gutted. A section of the false ceiling had crashed. There was no LPG cylinder or an AC unit in the room," said Barun Mukherjee, station officer of the CR Avenue fire station.