Keep cars cool to avoid accidents

Lack of proper maintenance and the rise in temperature has increased the possibility of vehicles catching fire.

By LELIN MALLICK in Bhubaneshwar
  • Published 5.03.18
  •  
SAFETY WORRY: Fire officials inspect the car that caught fire. Picture by Ashwinee Pati
 

Bhubaneswar: Lack of proper maintenance and the rise in temperature has increased the possibility of vehicles catching fire.

With the mercury already touching 38°C here, automobile experts have warned car owners to get a thorough check of their vehicles done to avoid accidental fires.

Fire officials have also attributed fire mishaps in vehicles to poor maintenance. An automobile engineer said that the chances of vehicles catching fire in summer increases as use of air conditioners increases load on cars. When air conditioners work and the engine cooling mechanism is not well maintained the chances of a car catching fire goes up.

"Several vehicle owners overload their car with additional electrical gadgets beyond the load capacity of the battery. Besides, vehicles modified with accessories such as security systems, reverse parking censors, dead lamps and stereos often leaves behind snapped wire that might lead to short circuit. Vehicle owners must inspect their vehicles at regular intervals to keep vehicles fit," said Manoj Ekka, an automobile engineer.

"They should regularly change air and oil filters along with engine coolant and engine oil to maintain health of the car," Ekka said.

Experts have also advised vehicle owners to keep hammer and scissors for use during any fire mishap.

The rise in temperature has also raised the chances of fire mishaps in vehicles. The first incident of the season happened last Monday when a Maruti Omni caught fire near Exhibition Ground. An automobile engineer said short-circuit had led to the fire.

"In such situations, the hammer will enable the people locked inside the car to break the window and get out. Similarly, a scissor will help in cutting the seat belt if it gets jammed," Ekka said.

Deputy fire officer, Bhubaneswar, Ramesh Chandra Majhi said short circuit was a major reason for cars catching fire.

He advised people to take get their vehicles serviced only at the authorised service centres.