Khandu accuser files fresh FIR

Itanagar: The woman, who accused Arunachal Pradesh chief minister Pema Khandu and two others of raping her in 2008, has lodged a fresh complaint in Tawang police station.

The woman, in her complaint dated March 5, said she had spent sleepless and stressful days since that fateful evening and all she wanted was justice and the guilty put behind bars.

Speaking to reporters here on Thursday, the woman claimed that her family was being threatened and harassed after she lodged a complaint with the National Commission for Women (NCW). "Earlier, it was me who was threatened but now my family, especially my father, is being mentally tortured and asked to make rounds of the police station without doing anything wrong," she said, and appealed for security for her family and in-laws. "If anything happens to my family, the trio who abused me and the state government would be responsible."

While clarifying that her move was not politically motivated, the woman said she has been fighting to get justice since 2012 when the Congress was in power in the state.

Khandu and state BJP president Tapir Gao had termed her allegation of gang rape as "politically motivated".

Khandu also flied a defamation case against the woman on February 22.

"I was treated like an animal by Khandu and two others. After I lost faith in Arunachal police and the court, I had approached the NWC, which initially gave me optimism that justice would be delivered. However, it did not happen there as well. Though I have no hope the police would help me this time as well but do I not deserve justice like other victims?" she asked.

She also questioned how the notice given to her by the NCW, on not taking up her case, was posted in social media by state BJP general secretary Jarpum Gamlin merely hours after she received it.

The woman also said she and her husband were offered Rs 40 lakh in 2015 by some unidentified person to close the case.

The woman had first lodged a complaint in December 2015, a few months before Khandu became the chief minister. Itanagar police carried out a preliminary inquiry. She then approached the court of chief judicial magistrate here, which found no merit in the complaint and dismissed it.


Back to top icon