CRPF posted on NIT campus

N. Biren Singh at NIT. Picture by Khelen Thokchom

Imphal: Normality returned to Manipur NIT campus on Thursday, after three days of trouble, with the deployment of CRPF personnel.

"Complete peace prevails on the campus. Students are attending classes. Everything is fine," S. Birendra Singh, director of the institute, which is located at Lamphelpat on the outskirts of this city, said.

Trouble had begun at the institute after a scuffle between some outstation students and local youths at the institute's football ground on Sunday. The next day, some students went on the rampage, damaging vehicles and window panes of the institute. A faculty member and a policeman were injured as students pelted stones. Some students were also injured as police caned the protesting students.

Nearly hundred outstation students tried to flee the state on Wednesday, alleging lack of security on the campus.

The students, mostly from Bihar and Uttar Pradesh, were brought back by police after stopping the three buses in which they were travelling towards Dimapur (Nagaland).

Official sources said the students relented after chief minister N. Biren Singh visited the institute on Wednesday evening and assured them that all their grievances would be looked into.

He provided his phone number to the students, urging them to call him if they have any problem in future and inspected different blocks, labs, hostels and classrooms.

"A team of CRPF personnel has been stationed on the campus since last night as demanded by outstation students," the director said.

The students sought a reimbursement of Rs 90,000 from the director, which they claimed was used in treating injuries, buying bus tickets and for damages to the cellphones of some students.

"The students submitted a bill. We will look into the matter," the director said.

The institute sent reports on the prevailing situation twice on Thursday as sought by the Union human resource development ministry on Wednesday.


Back to top icon