Steel city link in Ranvir Sena murder case

Read more below

  • Published 7.06.12

A Special Investigation Team (SIT) probing the murder of Ranvir Sena chief Brahmeshwar Singh Mukhiya picked up a 26-year-old man from an apartment in Jamshedpur’s posh Contractors’ Area in the wee hours of Wednesday.

The man nabbed by SIT has been identified as Ritesh Kumar alias Monu, a resident of BS Complex on Road No 3 in Contractors’ Area, Bistupur.

Speaking to The Telegraph, inspector of Bistupur police station Arun Kumar Rai, who was present when the youth was detained, said Monu would be questioned in connection with the Ranvir Sena chief’s death.

“The SIT officials picked up Monu for interrogation. He was not arrested,” Rai insisted.

The five-member SIT team arrived in Jamshedpur on Monday afternoon and subsequently zeroed in on Monu’s whereabouts.

After confirming which flat Monu lived in, the SIT team swooped down around 2am on Wednesday and picked the man neighbours described as a money-lender, who had been living in the flat on rent for the last two years with his wife. The couple had no children.

The SIT team almost immediately left for Bihar along with Monu in a car.

According to the police, Monu’s wife had moved to her parents’ house in Adityapur after the raid.

Monu, who made a living as a moneylender in the steel city, was apparently associated with a notorious criminal-turned-politician in Bihar’s Ara district.

Sources revealed that Monu had gone to his village in Ara on May 28, but the police wanted to know his whereabouts on June 1, the day the Ranvir Sena chief was murdered.

Police said Monu’s name cropped up during interrogation of over half-a-dozen suspects the Bihar police had picked up following the killing.

The chief of Ranvir Sena, a private militia of upper caste landlords, was gunned down on June 1 at Khopira village in Bihar’s Bhojpur district, triggering violence and arson.

Mukhiya, who faced several cases of carnage he had allegedly perpetrated on the lower caste landless poor, was acquitted and released from jail in April this year.