Shuttlers seek school events
Read more below
- Published 21.06.14
Budding shuttlers of East Singhbhum have been left in the lurch with the district badminton association failing to provide them proper platform to showcase their prowess.
The Badminton Association of East Singhbhum (BAES) has not conducted any inter-school tournament for the past two years, prompting young shuttlers and parents to lodge a complaint with the state body.
Mohit Raj, a promising player from the steel city, said he was frustrated at the district association’s style of functioning and contemplating quitting the game. “There is none to take care of our interests. I don’t see any future in badminton, especially in the district,” the 15-year rued.
Others of his ilk are equally disappointed. “There is no use of playing badminton if we cannot showcase our skills,” added Praful Das.
When contacted, Jharkhand Badminton Association (JBA) secretary K. Prabhakar Rao said he had asked the district body to conduct tournaments as per the Badminton Association of India (BAI) format. “But I cannot force them to do anything,” he said.
Rao added the JBA had constituted a five-member team to look into the allegations levelled against the district outfit following complaints from shuttlers.
BAES secretary Md Rashid admitted that they could not hold the inter-school tourney last year for the association was busy with three “big events” — state and district meets and a training camp.
On why the event that helps identify talents at the grassroots level, has not been held this year either, he said: “We thought of holding the district tournament first. The school meet will be held shortly.”
BAES president Neeraj Singh, however, said they were keen on promoting the sport and would make serious efforts to host the school meet. “I promise to hold the inter-school tournament very soon,” he told The Telegraph.
Sources said the BAES had been functioning according to the whims and fancies of a few office-bearers.
Recently, the district body held the Masters’ event — it began on June 15 and concluded on June 18 — only for the “above 45-age group” as part of the open district tournament. As per the BAI norms, the Masters’ event should be held for veteran players in various groups from above 35 years to above 65 years.
BAES insiders revealed that the event in the above 45-age section was conducted as it suited the interest of the secretary. “Rashid prevailed upon others to hold the matches as he is himself above 45 years. There were just eight veteran shuttlers in this group and Rashid was inclined to win the tournament. However, he lost in the semi-final,” an insider said.