Monday, 30th October 2017

E- paper

Rs 5800cr plan to power up villages

Power infrastructure in rural areas is likely to be upgraded under a centrally sponsored scheme for which the state government has submitted a proposal worth Rs 5,800 crore.

By RUDRA BISWAS in Ranchi
  • Published 18.08.15
  •  
Defunct transformers will be replaced under the scheme

Ranchi, Aug. 17: Power infrastructure in rural areas is likely to be upgraded under a centrally sponsored scheme for which the state government has submitted a proposal worth Rs 5,800 crore.

"The highlights of our proposal include electrifying around 15,000 hamlets across the state, replacing 15,000 or more burnt 10KVA and 16KVA transformers installed during the 10th (2002-2007) and 11th Plan (2007-2012) periods with 25 KVA, 63KVA and 100KVA, three phase transformers and strengthening of the power distribution network that would ensure supply of quality power," Rahul Purwar, managing director, Jharkhand Bijli Vitaran Nigam (JBVNL), the state owned power distribution company, told The Telegraph.

A host of other works had also been planned under the Centre's Deendayal Upadhyay Gram Jyoti Yojana (DDUGJY). These included installing electric meters and doing away with all un-metered connections to improve the commercial viability of power distribution, strengthening transmission and distribution lines, segregating rural household and agricultural feeder lines and constructing new power sub-stations, Purwar added.

The demand for power in rural areas has been increasing by the day.

However, due to weak transmission and distribution networks, low capacity transformers and inadequate number of power sub-stations supply is often disrupted.

To add to the problem, rural domestic and agricultural operations are being serviced through local distribution networks. And in the absence of separate feeder lines, any disruption cuts off power supply to both rural domestic consumers and farming activities.

"We have submitted our proposal to the Union energy secretary in New Delhi earlier this month. Funds will begin to flow once our proposal is approved. We shall commence work as soon as we receive funds from the Centre," Purwar revealed.

As per the funding mechanism under the yojana, the Union government will provide 60 per cent of the costs, with the state bearing the remaining 40 per cent.

Praveer Sinha, MD and CEO, Tata Power Delhi Distribution, who met chief minister Raghubar Das last week, expressed his readiness to partner the state along with Rural Electrification Corporation to implement the Deendayal Upadhyay Gram Jyoti Yojana and Integrated Power Development Scheme in Jharkhand.

"We made a detailed presentation before chief minister Raghubar Das at his residence at Kanke Road last week and briefed him on the steps taken by Tata Power to improve revenue collection and reduce transmission and distribution losses in Delhi, Goa, Noida, Gaziabad, Haryana, Chhatisgarh, UP, Madhya Pradesh and West Bengal, where our company is distributing electricity with R.E.C. We have assured the chief minister that we are ready to replicate these experiments in Jharkhand too," Sinha told The Telegraph.