Burns claim two lives

Two persons who had suffered serious burns while cooking 10 days ago succumbed to their injuries at the Tata Main Hospital on Saturday morning.

By Our Correspondent in Jamshedpur
  • Published 15.10.17
  •  
Anjali's father RN Kumar at the police camp office in Tata Main Hospital, Jamshedpur, on Saturday. Picture by Animesh Sengupta

Jamshedpur, Oct. 14: Two persons who had suffered serious burns while cooking 10 days ago succumbed to their injuries at the Tata Main Hospital on Saturday morning.

The deceased have been identified as Anjali Kumari, 20, a Jamshedpur Women's College student who lived in Gurdwara Road in Mango, and Ashok Kumar, a security guard at a Bistupur building.

According to Anjali's father Ravi Nandan Kumar, she was cooking when there was a load shedding in the locality at 9.30pm on October 4. "Anjali lit a kerosene lamp and continued cooking when her dress caught fire. It spread so fast that it engulfed her within seconds. By the time she was rushed to hospital, she had already suffered 80 per cent burns," Kumar, who works in a private company, said.

In another incident, Ashok Kumhar (36), of Bengal's Purulia, also suffered serious burn injuries while cooking at his one-room accommodation at Contractors' Area in Bistupur on the same day. Ashok's brother Balai said, "While preparing food on a kerosene stove, he accidentally burnt himself on October 4 night." Police said both deaths were caused by fire mishaps.