Track attack cuffs - Video footage helps nab 10 protesters

Read more below

  • Published 20.07.13

Government Railway Police on Friday nabbed 10 persons for their alleged involvement in an attack on passengers of Rajdhani Express at Kulharia railway station near Ara on Thursday evening.

A group of residents near the Kulharia station under East Central Railway’s Danapur division had pelted stones at the New Delhi-bound Rajdhani Express around 7pm on Thursday.

At least five bogies of the train were damaged in the protest during which the residents indulged in arson too. They were agitating after Mantosh Kumar, a resident of Dhanarua in Patna rural travelling to New Delhi by the Garib Rath, fell from the running train and received serious injuries.

He was rushed to a local government hospital for treatment.

Superintendent of railway police (Patna) Upendra Kumar Sinha said 10 people were arrested based on video footage at the railway station.

They were spotted pelting the Rajdhani Express and other trains passing through the Kulharia railway station with stones.

He added that seven Railway Protection Security Force and Railway Protection Force were also injured in the stone pelting.

A sub-inspector, identified as Vishwajeet Singh, suffered serious injuries on his head and was subsequently admitted to Ara Sadar Hospital for treatment. Some other policemen were also assaulted by the protesters.

The passengers of Mahananda Express and Ara-Sasaram passenger train also had to face the wrath of the protesters.

“An FIR was lodged against 300 unknown persons for indulging in vandalism and causing damage to railway property.

The trains were properly escorted and allowed to proceed towards their destinations,” said Sinha.

He admitted that the RPF opened fire in the air to bring the situation under control but denied the GRP and the district police did.

Sinha told The Telegraph: “It is a fact that the RPF personnel opened fire to disperse the unruly mob.”

He claimed the situation in Ara and its adjoining railway stations was under control. “The movement of trains on the section has become normal and additional forces have been deployed as a precautionary measure.