AIIMS doctor's son shoots self

A policeman checks the boy's room on Wednesday. Picture by Manoj Kumar

Patna: A Class X student of a prestigious city school committed suicide with a pistol in his bedroom at the AIIMS residential complex in Phulwarisharif early on Wednesday morning.

Akshat, 14, the eldest son of Dr Tribhuwan Kumar, shot himself in his room around 6.30am when his family members were asleep.

Tribhuwan is the assistant professor of physiology at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) Patna.

As the gunshot rang out early in the morning, local residents rushed to the doctor's house to find the boy lying in a pool of blood.

He was rushed to Paras HMRI hospital where he was declared brought dead.

Tribhuwan said he had no clue how his son had procured a gun, and that he himself had never owned one.

Phulwarisharif police station house officer (SHO) Ajit Kumar said: ""The victim's father told us that the pistol did not belong to the family. Preliminary investigation has revealed that the pistol used in committing the suicide did not belong to Tribhuwan. We are investigating who had given the pistol to the boy."

Police sources said they feared that Akshat may have been in touch with a few criminals in Phulwarisharif and they might have given the pistol to him.

Akshat's younger brother studies in Class VI, and his mother, Kumari Neelu, is a homemaker.

Akshat was supposed to appear for his board examination next year.

Patna senior superintendent of police Manu Maharaaj said: "We have found a notebook with names of people and a few notes. We have seized the notebook."

The early morning tragedy left local residents tense and worried. Many said they had never faced such a situation before and could not imagine in their wildest dreams a 14-year-old from a good family shooting himself dead.

The AIIMS residential complex is on the hospital premises.

A senior resident doctor of AIIMS, who also lives at the complex, said: "It was around 6.30am when we heard the sound of gunshot at Tribhuwan's house. We thought was a firecracker. As soon as we entered the house we spotted blood stains. The boy shot himself in his temple. The bullet passed through the head."

A doctor at the complex said: "Akshat was an introvert and never mingled with people at the complex."

The police interrogated a few people at the complex for six to seven hours.


Back to top icon