Ramos reveals death threats after Salah foul

Sergio Ramos

Calcutta: Spain's Sergio Ramos has shrugged off jeers from England fans and pointed out the death threats he received in the aftermath of the Champions League final against Liverpool.

Early in that game, which Real Madrid won 3-1, he clashed with Mohammed Salah in an incident that saw the Egypt international sustain a shoulder injury that forced him off prematurely and saw his participation in the World Cup limited.

The experienced centre back was vilified after the incident and continues to be a divisive figure in England, though he continues to protest that his "conscience is clear" over the incident.

On Saturday, the Real Madrid defender was booed as Spain beat England 2-1 at Wembley but he has pointed out that he was victim to unpleasant behaviour from fans following Real's third successive Champions League success.

"I would've liked another reception," he admitted in the aftermath of the Nations League clash. "Everyone remembers the final but nobody remembers the death threats that my family and my children received," Ramos was quoted as saying by a football-specific website.

Meanwhile, the Spaniard was pleased that Luis Enrique's era got off to a successful start.

"We started a new era with a coach who has a lot of experience and what better way to win at Wembley," the captain said.

On Tuesday, Spain will tackle World Cup finalists, and Ramos is looking forward to a reunion with one particular clubmate.

"There are few players that I am as proud of as Luka Modric," he said. "He merited being named Fifa's The Best - I was as happy for him as if they had given it to me."

Meanwhile, Luke Shaw has said he is "doing fine" after he was carted off the field early in the second half following a collision with Dani Carvajal.

In the 47th minute of the contest, the left-back was retreating toward the sideline to track a long ball hit by Sergio Ramos and slammed into Carvajal. Falling forward, Shaw's head appeared to strike the turf.

Shaw was down for several minutes as he was attended to by the medical staff, during which time an oxygen mask was applied.

The defender was eventually loaded onto a stretcher and carted off the field with Danny Rose inserted as his replacement.


Back to top icon