139 civil servant cases; Live-in relief; MS daughter; Jumbo camp; Border bunkers; Fugitive killed; Rail link to satellites; Ishrat case; Sherin's autopsy report; One-car plea; Ward boy 'doctor'; Sabarimala name; Aadhaar approval; Drone in JNU
139 civil servant cases
• NEW DELHI: As many as 139 corruption and criminal cases have been registered against bureaucrats, diplomats and revenue officers between January 2014 and November 2017, the Centre said on Wednesday. The CBI has registered the cases against officers of the Indian Administrative Service, the Indian Police Service, the Indian Revenue Service and the Indian Foreign Service, minister of state for personnel Jitendra Singh said in a written reply to the Lok Sabha. "In order to speed up disposal of the cases, 92 additional special courts for the CBI have been set up," he said. PTI
• NEW DELHI: A Delhi court has acquitted a man of the charge of raping a woman after intoxicating her, stating that since they were in a live-in relationship, the physical relations between them were consensual. Judge Ramesh Kumar absolved the accused. PTI
• BENGALURU: Carnatic vocalist Radha Vishwanathan, daughter of legendary classical singer M S Subbulakshmi, passed away at a private hospital on Wednesday, according to family sources. Vishwanathan, 83, developed breathing complications, following which she was admitted to the Fortis Hospital here on Tuesday. PTI
• COIMBATORE: The annual camp for temple elephants in Tamil Nadu, a pet project of late chief minister Jayalalithaa, will begin on Thursday. A total of 33 elephants from different temples are expected to participate in the 48-day camp, launched by the state in 2003, official sources said. The camp is protected by solar fences, particularly to keep wild elephants away. PTI
• JAMMU: The Centre has sanctioned the construction of over 14,400 underground bunkers at a cost of Rs 415.73 crore for the safety of people living along the LoC and the International Border in Jammu division. PTI
• MUZAFFARNAGAR: A notorious criminal carrying a cash reward of Rs 1 lakh on his head was killed in an encounter with police near Jandhedi village in Shamli, police said on Wednesday. PTI
Rail link to satellites
• NEW DELHI: Indian Railways has set a target of December 2018 to link all its locomotives via Isro satellites, making it easy to track trains and communicate with their crew in real time, officials said. By the end of the year, all 10,800 locos of the railways will have antennae fixed on them and they will be monitored inside the driver's cabin, senior officials said. PTI
• AHMEDABAD: Two Intelligence Bureau officials have challenged the summons issued to them by a magistrate's court in Ahmedabad on the alleged fake encounter in which Ishrat Jahan was killed in 2004. The summonses have been challenged by central IB officers. PTI
Sherin's autopsy report
• HOUSTON: The autopsy report of three-year-old Sherin Mathews said she had died of "homicidal violence", the US media reported on Wednesday, nearly three months after the adopted Indian girl was found dead in a culvert in suburban Dallas. Sherin was reported missing from her home in Richardson on October 7. The report does not implicate Sini Mathews, the adoptive mother, her attorney said. PTI
• NEW DELHI: The National Green Tribunal on Wednesday refused to entertain a plea that sought a vehicle registration policy of "one family, one car" in the Delhi-National Capital Region to check pollution. The tribunal termed the plea "premature" and disposed it of while allowing the petitioner to approach the authority concerned.
Ward boy 'doctor'
• NEW DELHI: The National Human Rights Commission has sought a report on a news article that a ward boy had been doubling as a doctor and pharmacist at a government primary health centre in Uttar Pradesh. Reportedly, most residents do not visit the centre because of lack of facilities. The doctor posted at the centre visits once in a fortnight and the pharmacist mostly remains absent, the news report on January 1 had claimed.
• THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: The Lord Ayyappa shrine in Kerala would continue to be known as "Sabarimala Sree Dharma Sastha Temple". The temple management on Wednesday decided to reject its re-christening as proposed by the previous body constituted by the UDF government. PTI
• BANGALORE: The Karnataka cabinet has approved a central legislation to provide statutory backing to Aadhaar for use in transferring government subsidies andbenefits. PTI
Drone in JNU
• NEW DELHI: Delhi police on Tuesday said that a drone with a camera was found in the Yamuna Hostel of JNU. The memory card of the camera contains five video recordings of very short durations in which a boy and a girl are seen flying the drone, the police said. PTI