X

Akhilesh Yadav says bungalow reports are a BJP conspiracy

Akhilesh Yadav at the press conference in Lucknow. Pic: ABP News

Lucknow, June 13 (PTI): Former Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on Wednesday slammed the Bharatiya Janata Party over reports of damage to the official bungalow vacated by him in the state capital, terming it as a “conspiracy” by the saffron party. 

”The BJP it is rattled after repeated defeats in a series of by-elections,” the Samajwadi Party leader said at a hurriedly convened press conference here.

”It is the BJP's conspiracy,” he charged.

His outburst came a day after UP Governor Ram Naik asked the state government to take action over the reported damage to the bungalow vacated by the former chief minister, calling it a serious matter involving the taxpayer's money.

In a letter to Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath, the Governor said reports about the damage at 4, Vikramaditya Marg, were doing the rounds in the media and among the common people. 

He said this was a “serious matter”.

”The residences allocated to the former chief ministers belong to the estates department and their maintenance is done through the taxpayers' money,” he wrote.

”The state government needs to take proper action as per rules on the damage caused to the state's property,” Ram Naik said.

The bungalow was vacated by the SP leader in compliance with a Supreme Court order that former chief ministers were not entitled to any government accommodation in Lucknow.

Video clips and photos had shown damage to a cycle track, on walls after air-conditioners seemed to have been removed and to the floor of what appeared to be a badminton court at the vacated bungalow.

Akhilesh had then said it was an attempt by the Bharatiya Janata Party to defame him.

The Governor also called the Estates department officials and was told that videography had been done at the houses vacated by the former chief ministers.

After the video clips surfaced, estates department official Yogesh Kumar Shukla had said officials will check the inventory of fittings provided at the bungalow.

The department will serve a notice if there was any damage done “intentionally” or if there was anything missing, he had said.

The Samajwadi Party had termed the video clips as an attempt to tarnish Akhilesh's image, saying his popularity was continuously growing after the defeat of the BJP in recent bypolls.

It asked why the bungalows vacated by other former chief ministers were not shown. 

As the two parties sparred, the BJP had said the damage at the bungalow reflected Akhilesh's “frustration”.

Following the Supreme Court order, the UP estates department had issued notices to six former chief ministers — Narayan Dutt Tiwari, Mulayam Singh Yadav, Kalyan Singh, Mayawati, Rajnath Singh and Akhilesh Yadav.

Barring Congress veteran N.D. Tiwari, ailing in Delhi, all of them have now vacated their official bungalows.

Opinion

Back to top icon