Man shoots wife, sprays bullets on cops

A policeman tries to enter the house in which Upendra had locked himself up. Picture by Ashok Sinha

Patna, July 17: A middle-aged man, who could be mentally challenged, shot his wife dead and then fired several shots at the police force that went to arrest him.

It took almost four hours for the men-in-uniform and trained commandos to tame the man who was shot at before being controlled.

Upendra Yadav, a resident of Gwal Tola locality under Fulwari police station, is being treated at Patna Medical College Hospital (PMCH).

"He had been married for 8-10 years. Apparently, he fell in love with another woman after marriage but was spurned by her. He could not take the rejection, which made him violent at times. Around 8am today, Upendra had a heated argument with his wife Lilawati Devi over some issue. He took out a country-made pistol and shot his wife dead. His mother Mandodari Devi, who was in the house, heard the shot, and immediately rushed out and informed neighbours who called up the police station. By the time, the police team arrived, Upendra had locked himself up in a room on the first floor of the house," Patna superintendent of police (west) Rajeev Mishra told The Telegraph.

Fulwari police station house officer (SHO) Barister Paswan said when the police tried to open the door to Upendra's house forcibly, the latter fired at them. "He just opened fire. The bullet missed me by a whisker. Seeing the condition worsening, we contacted our seniors and they rushed to the spot. With the person looking dangerous, the police tried to break the window of the room to get inside, but the man fired again," the SHO said.

When all efforts failed, two Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) teams, one belonging to Patna police and the other to the anti-terrorism squad (ATS), were called in to handle the situation. The teams arrived around 10.50am and an operation was launched to nab the man. Upendra continued to spray bullets and fired two more shots at the SWAT teams.

The trained men fired a tear gas shell through the broken window and then broke down the door of the room. Upendra fired two more shots but the SWAT team retaliated, hitting him in the back before finally overpowering and arresting him.

The man was controlled around 12.20pm and immediately sent to PMCH for treatment, police sources said.

"The ATS was involved as the police suspected a terror act with the man continuously firing at the police. Moreover, the police did not want to take any chances as Fulwari Sharif is an area dominated by Muslims and it was about time for Friday prayers on the eve of Id," a police officer said.

The SP said Upendra's condition was stable now. "We are not sure if he is mentally unstable. Once his condition improves, he will be questioned for information. His wife's body has been sent to PMCH for post-mortem," the SP said.


Back to top icon