Hostel shift in CU rag case

Hazra: The first-year law student of Calcutta University who was allegedly ragged in a north Calcutta hostel last month was allotted a berth in a Ballygunge hostel on Tuesday.

The dean of law, J.K. Das, and the secretary of the university's board of residence, Nishad Alam, were present at the hostel on the Ballygunge science college campus when the student turned up with his parents in the afternoon.

Days before, registrar Rajagopal Dhar Chakraborti had written to the UGC: "I myself will be present when the victim decides to shift to the new hostel and the warden there will be asked to keep a special vigil on the victim as long as he feels insecure."

The registrar gave the undertaking after the UGC had written to the university expressing surprise that two inquiry committees had found no merit in the ragging complaint the student lodged after being rescued from confinement by police.

The hostel, close to the campus housing the university's law department, can accommodate 55 students.

"The hostel is mostly occupied by students of the BTech programme in jute and fibre technology. As for this student (the complainant), we have made an exception. We want him to feel safe. He will be under special care," Dhar Chakraborti said.

The student's mother reiterated the family's demand that the accused be punished.

"We are waiting for the outcome of the police probe. The UGC has informed us that they will ask the Bar Council of India to probe the matter as the university has failed to find any merit in the complaint. We hope the council will give us justice," she said.

The registrar told Metro on Tuesday: "We will expel the accused if the police found them guilty."

The student has alleged that eight seniors had confined him in a second-floor room of New Law College Hostel, on Bidhan Sarani, and assaulted him for hours on the night of December 7. The assault, according to the complaint lodged with the UGC on December 9 and the university two days later, left him bleeding from the head.

The student managed to send a text alert to his brother, who got in touch with the police. A police team rushed to the hostel and rescued the student. The student later lodged an FIR and has been staying at his ancestral house in East Midnapore since.

The university has informed the UGC that it formed two inquiry committees but none found any evidence of assault.


Back to top icon