MY KOLKATA EDUGRAPH
ADVERTISEMENT
regular-article-logo Tuesday, 27 February 2024

At least 15 private schools in Bengaluru receive bomb threat, students evacuated from premises safely

The school authorities immediately alerted police, which reached the institutions concerned with the bomb disposal squads and anti-sabotage check teams

PTI Bengaluru Published 01.12.23, 12:00 PM
School children wait for their parents to arrive after at least 15 private schools received an email with a bomb threat on its premises, triggering panic among the staff and parents

School children wait for their parents to arrive after at least 15 private schools received an email with a bomb threat on its premises, triggering panic among the staff and parents PTI

At least 15 private schools in Bengaluru on Friday morning received an email with a bomb threat on its premises, triggering panic among the staff and parents, police said.

The school authorities immediately alerted police, which reached the institutions concerned with the bomb disposal squads and anti-sabotage check teams, they said.

ADVERTISEMENT

The students and staff were immediately evacuated from the school premises, police said, adding no suspicious objects have been found yet.

As soon as parents got to know about the incident, they rushed to schools in panic to get their children back home safely.

"The email claimed that explosives had been planted on school premises. We received a call from the command centre and immediately rushed our teams to schools which are located in different parts of the city. All students and staff have been safely evacuated from the school premises and a thorough search operation is being carried out," a senior police officer said.

So far, nothing suspicious has been found yet and prima facie looks like it's a hoax message. Parents need not panic, our teams are on the ground, he said.

Last year also, some miscreants sent such emails claiming about a bomb threat to schools in Bengaluru, which later turned out to be a hoax message, police said.

Karnataka Deputy Chief Minister D K Shivakumar visited one of the schools which received the bomb threat. He took information from the school and the police about the situation.

"I was a bit dismayed after seeing the news on TV, as some schools I know and the one near my house were also mentioned. So I went out to check. The police have shown me the mail. Prima facie, it appears to be fake (hoax). I spoke to the police... But we should be cautious. Parents are a bit worried, no need to worry. Police are looking into it," he said.

Shivakumar appealed to parents not to worry and said their children would be safe.

"Some mischief mongers might have done this, in 24 hours we will nab them. Cyber crime police are active, they are doing their job... We should also be cautious and should not neglect," he added.

Meanwhile, Karnataka Home Minister G Parameshwara said the message had come from email id kharijites@beeble.com. The email says bombs have been placed in about 15 schools in Bengaluru and threatened to kill children and staff.

"We are seriously verifying it and its source. I have spoken to the Commissioner and officials and have given the necessary instructions and verification on whether it's true or hoax and measures to be taken accordingly.

"We will verify as to who is behind it and there is involvement of any terrorist organisation, and take measures accordingly. For now, it cannot be said who is behind it. The message in the email asks people to convert and other things, it will be verified," he told reporters here.

The home minister recalled that last year too, a similar threat had come. It was a hoax. This also may be a hoax, but we won't take it lightly. Even if there is one per cent (doubt), we will take it seriously and take measures like sensitising the intelligence and informing central agencies, which the department has to do.

Stating that he is in regular touch with officials and, if necessary, will hold a meeting with senior officials, Parameshwara appealed to parents and the public not to worry.

"First we will focus on checking and clearing in 15 schools, and will look into other schools later with jurisdiction police station officials visiting them," he added.

Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by The Telegraph Online staff and has been published from a syndicated feed.

Follow us on:
ADVERTISEMENT