The Telegraph
Sunday , August 24 , 2014
CIMA Gallary

Manjhi seeks Chouhan help

- Son critical, minister blames school

Patna, Aug. 23: Chief minister Jitan Ram Manjhi today spoke to his Madhya Pradesh counterpart, Shivraj Singh Chouhan, requesting him for a detailed probe into the alleged ragging of the son of a Bihar minister.

Manjhi, reacting to the alleged harassment of co-operative minister Jai Kumar Singh’s son at The Scindia School in Gwalior, said: “I spoke to the MP chief minister about the incident. We have learnt that the boy is still critical. I have urged him to order a probe into the incident and take strict action against the guilty.”

The boy, a student of Class IX, is on ventilator at Delhi’s Apollo Hospitals.

Minister Singh, who yesterday hinted that the boy was harassed and suspectedly throttled by his school seniors, today blamed the institute administration for his son’s condition and said he would lodge an FIR in the connection.

The school had claimed yesterday that the boy had been found hanging in his room. However, the emotional father kept insisting today that the boy couldn’t attempt suicide.

“My son is still critical but has shown some movement. I am pained to see that those running such a prestigious school are making every effort to hush up the case. When my son recovers and hears that his school of three years tried to brand him ‘suicidal’, he would be shocked. He had complained to his warden about the ill treatment meted out by his seniors but no action was taken. He cannot attempt suicide, for we as parents never pressurised him. He was harassed and attacked,” said Singh.

The boy was a member of the Mahadji House.

“On August 16, he told his mother on the phone about an altercation with some of his House seniors over refusal to polish their shoes for a week. He also complained that they were stopping him from going to the dining room for meals. So he wanted to change his House. I was very busy with the Bihar bypolls and had planned to meet him in the school on August 22. The doctors told me that they are sure that my son was throttled and there was no sign of any hanging. I clearly told Congress MP Jyotiraditya Scindia yesterday that the school was committing a crime by not accepting that my son was ragged and beaten up. I will lodge an FIR surely once my son recovers,” said Singh, choking on tears.

V.S. Raghubansi, the city superintendent of police (Gwalior), told The Telegraph over the phone: “The school is talking to us through lawyers. We received a letter from the school last evening stating that the boy was found in his room unconscious after which he was taken to two nursing homes in Gwalior. However, the doctors said he was very critical and hence, was shifted to Apollo Hospitals in Delhi. It is unacceptable that the school didn’t inform the police or the boy’s local guardian about the matter.”

Speaking on the probe, the city SP added: “We suspect that they might be hiding something and so did not inform the cops. We will send them a legal notice seeking reasons behind their action. Had we been alerted, investigations could have been started immediately. We have registered a suo motu case. We have not spoken to the family, as it is in turmoil but we will record their statements soon.”

Narendra Sharma, the boy’s local guardian, said the police hadn’t approached him yet.

 More stories in Bihar

  • Steps to boost power supply
  • Poison poser on college girl's death
  • Rebel trio in net, explosives found
  • Panel orders pension pay
  • Monday verdict, jungle or raj
  • Manjhi seeks Chouhan help
  • Monsoon revival on radar
  • Boards rush to digitise records of pupils
  • Rivers finally show signs