The Telegraph
Friday , August 22 , 2014
CIMA Gallary

Murder, stabbing rock steel city

A 19-year-old youth was bludgeoned to death by his uncle, who went about town in the morning declaring his crime, while a 35-year-old man stabbed his parents and fled in Jamshedpur on Thursday.

The uncle, Tipu Pingua, was arrested from Olidih in Mango, the same area where his nephew lived, while Sidhgora police are investigating the stabbing incident at Shanti Nagar.

The injured parents, along with their younger son who suffered burn injuries, have been admitted to Tata Main Hospital, where the condition of one of them was serious.

According to police, Abhishek Barua (19), who used to work in a local private firm, was sleeping on the verandah of his house at Olidih around 1am on Thursday when Pingua, his maternal uncle, smashed his head with a boulder. Barua died on the spot.

“After killing him, Pingua waited beside his body till morning. After that he went around the neighbourhood and told everyone that he had killed his nephew,” said a police source.

A neighbour informed the police.

Officer-in-charge of Olidih outpost Sushma Kumari said Pingua, they had learnt, was a history-sheeter and was allegedly involved in the murder of his wife 10 years ago.

“On Wednesday night there was a quarrel between the uncle and the nephew leading to the assault. Pingua killed Barua using the boulder in the night,” she said, adding that Pingua would be sent to judicial custody soon.

Barua’s body has been sent to MGM Medical College mortuary for post-mortem.

In the Shantinagar attack, police said Satish Shaw (35), who was residing at his father, Parmeswar Shaw’s house tried to kill his younger brother, Bablu (23), by setting him on fire by pouring kerosene on him around 4am on Thursday.

Woken up by Bablu’s screams, Parmeswar rushed to his rescue when Satish took out a knife and stabbed his father repeatedly in the stomach.

On hearing the commotion, Satish’s mother, Lalita Devi, rushed in when Satish stabbed her in the leg. She was also seriously injured.

Satish then fled the scene leaving behind his newly-wedded wife and the injured trio of his brother, father and mother.

Officer-in-charge of Sidhgora police station Shambhunath Gupta said Satish, a truck driver, and the family were locked in property dispute, which might have led him launch the attack.

“Satish wanted a major share of the family property because of which there were regular quarrels at home. But, when he realised there was no way he could stake claim to the family land, he resorted to violence, trying to kill all those who would come in his way,” Gupta told The Telegraph.

The police are conducting searches across town to nab Satish.

‘Witchcraft’ attack

A 65-year-old widow was seriously injured when one Titu Munda attacked her with a sharp weapon at Bantour village of Baharagora in Ghatshila sub-division, about 90km from Jamshedpur, in the wee hours of Thursday.

According to police, Munda accused Sombari Mundaine of practising witchcraft and slit her throat partially before her son Jawaharlal rushed in to save her.

Mundaine has been admitted to MGM Medical College and Hospital.

Police have registered an attempt to murder case against Munda, but are yet to arrest him.

 More stories in Jharkhand

  • Maoists 'avenge' teacher killings
  • Capital Modi-fied
  • Power peeve for Dhanbad, Jharia
  • MLAs get 4 days to reply
  • Job foundation laid at college
  • Murder, stabbing rock steel city
  • Subernarekha purged of syringes and soiled cotton
  • Plan to revive choked town
  • Emphasis on family values
  • What happens in city homes when the PM comes calling
  • Hemant holds his own, scores a point
  • HC whip on tainted MLAs
  • XLRI boost for biz at bottom of pyramid
  • Bhuiyan's show of 7500